My Biased Opinion on Who Should Win a 2020 Emmy Award

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

For many pop culture enthusiasts like myself, the Emmy awards are a highly anticipated event. Fall 2020 is a very exciting time as I get to watch my favorite celebrities receive well-deserved recognition for all of the efforts they put toward creating their shows. I could list quite a few shows and performers that I hope to see win an Emmy this year, but I am placing all my bets on Jason Bateman. He is nominated for two Emmys this year: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his role of Marty Byrde on Ozark, as well as Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Terry Maitland in The Outsider. If I could wish for one of the nominees to win, it would be him, but I admit I am biased since he is my favorite actor and someone I greatly admire as an aspiring actress.

Jason Bateman is one of the most talented yet underrated actors in the entertainment industry. His story is extremely inspiring, as he overcame various obstacles he faced in his 20s that led him to become very successful. Jason Bateman has been a working actor since he was ten years old and experiencing fame and fortune at such a young age threatened to destroy not only his professional life but his personal life. He struggled with drugs, alcohol, depression, an identity crisis, and a loss of money as a result of not knowing where his career was going or how to deal with an imminent halt in job bookings. Thankfully, after he married his wife Amanda Anka and booked a job on, my all-time favorite show, Arrested Development in 2001, he decided to seek help with Alcoholics Anonymous. He was given a role that would soon book him more projects such as Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) and Juno (2007). This is one of many reasons why I look up to him as an actor because he turned his life around and serves as a positive influence for everyone working in Hollywood.

One of my favorite quotes by this actor, about not being offered roles for a few years, is that “everybody is just a job away.” It was very uplifting to hear because I experienced a similar situation when I first started going on auditions. Hearing this quote from someone in show business who has faced many ups and downs but emerged into a star taught me to never give up and to keep auditioning. Also, the talented actor avoided being typecast and plays diverse characters, from the hilarious Michael Bluth to the mysterious Marty Byrde. My absolute dream is to one day be cast in a movie or show with him, and I have a feeling that if I follow his advice, that could very well happen.

In conclusion, Jason Bateman is the GOAT of Hollywood, and I hope he wins both Emmys on Sunday, September 20th.

Melanie Bumpus is a freshman at Pace University majoring in Communication Studies (and fluent in Arrested Development quotes). She is either at a concert or watching 10 Things I Hate About You for the millionth time. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9551530/