college parties?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college parties?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX

Moving to “Saturn?” I’m on Board if SZA Is

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If SZA has no fans, I am no longer on this Earth. The singer-songwriter’s lyricism has captivated me ever since her debut studio album, Ctrl. Most recently, her sophomore album, SOS, earned her nine nominations at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards in Feb. 2024. It was at this awards show where she debuted her new single, “Saturn,” via a commercial with Mastercard. 

SZA is notorious for making her fans play the waiting game for her highly anticipated songs. Naturally, I was ecstatic when she surprise-released “Saturn” on music streaming services last Thursday. The ethereal melody paints a picture of SZA grappling with the meaning of life— well, the meaning of life on Earth. She laments that she’s “Stuck in this terradome/All I see is terrible/Making us hysterical/There’s got to be more, got to be more.” As an alternative to life on Earth where “the good die young and poor,” SZA dreams of finding peace and greater meaning on Saturn. This theme is endlessly relatable, as I’m sure we’ve all fantasized about packing our bags and leaving this planet entirely for a fresh start or something greater than our terrestrial experience thus far. 

SZA’s one-of-a-kind diction makes a special appearance in this single, with many listeners including myself, mishearing “Find something worth saving” as “I’m something worth saving.” Whether this is intentional or not, it certainly pulled me deeper into the sentiment of the tune and prompted much reflection about my own purpose here on Earth. Additionally, I think the confusion over this lyric is a Freudian slip straight from the mouth of Gen-Z. Our generation is indeed something worth saving, amidst the uncertainty about our futures. Specifically, our concerns with the rising cost of living and the environment. We may as well abandon ship on Earth and relocate to another planet. Namely, Saturn.

One of the biggest themes explored in this song is the concept of Saturn’s return. According to Harper’s Bazaar, “A Saturn Return is a significant time of transition and personal growth, which brings with it an assessment from the universe of whether you’re living up to your potential and living your life authentically. Crucially, your Saturn Return will bring to the forefront truths you might have been denying yourself – sometimes for years.” This is right up SZA’s existentialist alley. In a 2023 interview with Rolling Stone, she asserted “I’m here to do better all the time… I’m competitive by nature, and that makes me happy. I don’t want to harm you, I just want to do great… It’s like, once I accept and integrate all the things about myself that are bad traits, I feel like that’s when I start to heal them.” In true SZA style, she lives, learns, and then shares her experience with us, and “Saturn” is the latest addition to this paradigm. 

“Saturn” was received with much positivity, especially on TikTok. If you’re like me, and you can’t get enough of this melody, fear not— “Saturn” was released in a bundle that includes live, sped-up, acapella, and instrumental versions.” “Saturn” will most likely make an appearance on SZA’s upcoming long play, Lana, a deluxe version of her album SOS.

Tiffany Ling is a member of Her Campus at Pace University! She loves to write, and is also a contributor for Pace’s Honors Herald. Outside of Her Campus, Tiffany works for the New York Public Library, and Darien Library in Connecticut, as a library page and technology assistant. From library science, to behavioral neuroscience, Tiffany has a lot of academic interests. In her spare time, Tiffany also does freelance technology work for Darien Public Schools. She plans to continue doing so throughout the school year. Some of Tiffany’s personal interests include reading, swimming, and spending time with her dog, Bindi. One of her favorite authors is Agatha Christie, but she’s currently reading Chronicle of a Death Foretold, by Gabriel García Márquez. Since starting school, she’s been missing her dog a lot; lucky for her, Boris and Horton is only two stops away on the subway.