Movies to Look Out for at the 2017 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Award season is officially upon us! On Sunday February 26th, the 89th Academy Awards will honor some of the most talked about films of 2016. If you aren’t lucky enough to score tickets to the actual ceremony in Los Angeles, you can watch the award show on TV or stream it live at oscar.go.com/live. Don’t miss this star-studded event!

La La Land

Starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, this romantic musical is set in modern day Los Angeles with an old Hollywood vibe. With a total of 14 Oscar nominations, La La Land is sure to be the biggest winner this award season.

Here’s what it’s nominated for:

1. Best Picture
  2. Actor in a leading role: Ryan Gosling
  3. Actress in a leading role: Emma Stone
  4. Cinematography
  5. Costume Design
  6. Directing
  7. Film Editing
  8. Music (Original Score)
  9. City of Stars song
  10.  Audition (The Fools Who Dream)
  11.  Production Design
  12.  Sound Editing
  13.  Sound Mixing
  14.  Writing (Original Screenplay)

Manchester by the Sea

This film first premiered and won viewers over at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. Starring Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams, this emotional picture is centered around a man who is forced to move back home to Manchester due to unfortunate circumstances. While at home, he struggles with his past and reminisces on why he left in the first place.

Here’s what it’s nominated for:

1. Best Picture
  2. Actor in a leading role: Casey Affleck
  3. Actor in a Supporting Role: Lucas Hedges
  4. Actress in a supporting role: Michelle Williams
  5. Directing
  6. Writing (Original Screenplay)

Fences

Denzel Washington and Voila Davis hit home in this emotional, family film, set in the 1950s. Washington takes on the role of a garbage man who struggles with coming to terms with his son’s baseball talent.

Here’s what it’s nominated for:

1. Best Picture
  2. Actor in a leading role: Denzel Washington
  3. Actress in a supporting role: Viola Davis
  4. Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Lion

Dev Patel plays an Indian man traveling back to Calcutta to try and reconnect with his biological family after living in Australia with his adopted family for 25 years.  

Here’s what it’s nominated for:

1. Best Picture
  2. Actor in a supporting role: Dev Patel
  3. Actress in a supporting role: Nicole Kidman
  4. Cinematography
  5. Music (original score)
  6. Writing (adapted screenplay)

Senior Communications major and Women and Gender Studies minor at Pace University who spends too much time researching celebrities and not enough on homework.
Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!