This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

One of my favorite shows ever is Adventure Time. In my opinion, Adventure Time is Cartoon Network’s best show as I still find myself enjoying it. Other Cartoon Network shows that I’d put on after school have not held up over the years. But, Adventure Time is full of detailed lore, fascinating adventures, and complex characters. One complex character that I connected with (and still do, if I’m honest) is Marceline the Vampire Queen. This edgy, bisexual, 1000-year-old vampire deserves all the clout. Throughout the show, we watch her as she deals with parental issues, relationships, friendships, and self-acceptance. Oh, and she also is a rock-star. So, obviously, I had to create a Marceline-inspired playlist. Here is my take on what Marceline’s debut album would sound like. (Plus some song analysis!) 

1. “Vamp Vamp” by Adventure Time 

2. “I’m Just Your Problem” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

An original Marceline bop. This song had to be included as it is a very pivotal time in Marceline and Princess Bubblegum’s pre-relationship friendship. Marceline is hurt and angry, and this is one of the first times we see Marceline get so emotional in a song.

1. “Fries” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “Interlude: I’m Not Angry Anymore” by Paramore

A Marceline-esque lyric: “I’m not bitter anymore I’m syrupy sweet.” I really like this lyric, and I think it relates well to Princess Bubblegum’s Candy Kingdom. Marceline’s songs are all very lyrical and are like a journal, which is how this song fits in here. What also makes this song a great fit is the ukulele, as one of Marceline’s instruments is a “Banjolele.”

1. “Flower Body” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “Fireworks” by Mitski

3. “Rat” by Penelope Scott

The electric/cyber-vibe of this song reminds me of when Marceline had used BMO to create music. And while this song is directly about Elon Musk, it is also about men, in general, being disappointments. Marceline’s complicated relationships with her father and the Ice King are subjects she has sung about before (“Fries” “Not Just Your Little Girl”) so this song is fitting. 

1. “Was It Reality” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “Townie” by Mitski

A Marceline-esque lyric: “I am not gonna be what my daddy wants me to be”. Marceline’s relationship with her father is strenuous for many reasons, starting with when he ate her french fries. However, his wish for her to rule the Nightosphere is a topic of controversy amongst them as she is staunchly against the idea. 

1. “Yeah Girl, It Stinks” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “Feel Better” by Penelope Scott

I’m obsessed with the dark electric guitar sound and the gritty emotions of this song. Marceline is often quick to express anger when dealing with emotions, and this song encapsulates being angry about something and wanting to sit in that stubbornness and anger for a little while.

1. “Bubble Gum” by Clairo

2. “Love in Its Place” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

3. “Francis Forever” by Mitski

Marceline covered this song for a Battle of the Bands competition in season 8. This cover introduced me to Mitski, who is now one of my favorite music artists, and Olivia Olson (Marceline’s voice actor) does an incredible job in the show.

1. “Woke Up” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson, Zuzu

2. “Lotta True Crime” by Penelope Scott

3. “Everything Stays” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

4. “Texas Reznikoff” by Mitski

5. “Neutral Spirit Hotel” by Local News Legend

6. “Cigarette Ahegao” by Penelope Scott

A Marceline-esque lyric: “In my defense, I wasn’t supposed to be around this long”. 

1. “Fisherman” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “I wanna be your girlfriend” by girl in red

3. “You Don’t Need a Pill to Be Chill” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson, Hynden Walch

4. “Pink in the Night” by Mitski

A Marceline-esque lyric: ”I glow pink in the night in my room”. Pink is a common theme in Marceline’s timeline. Marceline’s home interior is pink, her furniture is pink, and her girlfriend Princess Bubblegum is pink. This lyric is also very similar to a lyric in track 30 titled “Monster.” 

1. “Not Just Your Little Girl” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson

2. “Community Gardens” by The Scary Jokes, Louie Zong

A Marceline-esque lyric: “Full disclosure, I am a monster, a creature of despair”.

1. “It’s Spring Again” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson, Hynden Walch

2. “I Don’t Smoke” by Mitski

3. “Motion Sickness” by Phoebe Bridgers

4. “Monster” by Adventure Time, Olivia Olson, Half Shy

This song debuted in Adventure Time: Distant Lands – Obsidian. But I’ll give a quick spoiler-free analysis for this song since it closes out my playlist. Over the course of Marceline’s life we watch her continue to grow and change, this song is the accumulation of Marceline’s every attempt at maturity and growth throughout the years. This song is a recognition of everything that has been holding her back in life, while also a recognition of what she has that will help her heal. It’s a great heart-melting song with the ability to put every Marceline fan in their feels. 

Meredith (they/she) is a sophomore at Pace, majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing. They enjoy reading, ramen, and my chemical romance.