‘Lisa Frankenstein’ Review: A Gothic Romance Featuring Missing Body Parts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

From living statues to missing body parts, the 2024 film Lisa Frankenstein will take you on a wild journey through an ‘80s horror film lens. The story takes a twist on the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelley and follows quirky teenager Lisa Swallows as she embarks on a new journey after witnessing the gruesome death of her mother. Her father remarries a horrible woman. Overshadowed by her stepsister Taffy, Lisa spends a lot of her time alone, typically at the local cemetery. Here, Lisa befriends the statue of a young deceased man, who was struck and killed by a green bolt of lightning years prior. After Lisa attends a party-gone-wrong, she returns to the cemetery. Upset by the events at the party, Lisa confides in her favorite statue and expresses that she wishes she were with him. When Lisa leaves, a green bolt of lightning strikes the statue, bringing the man to life as a zombie. 

Starring Kathryn Newton and Cole Sprouse, Lisa Frankenstein explores a split-depiction of a gothic love story and an ‘80s horror film. The cast was definitely well-rounded, and I thought each role fit. I thoroughly enjoyed the ‘80s-film experience, which was also present during the previews before. It provided a comforting old-time atmosphere, and, as someone who’s favorite movies range from Dirty Dancing to Sixteen Candles, I really appreciated this classic experience. The cinematography was good, but I found that the film lacked the body-horror aspect I was expecting. It felt divided between the horror and love-story themes, which didn’t meld together very smoothly. There was a humorous aspect, which is something I always appreciate. The tacky humor added a fun aspect to the film that made it a lot more bearable for me to watch.

Though I thought the storyline was presented well, it felt very predictable. There was no point where I felt really intrigued by the film. Frankly, I was beginning to fall asleep towards the end. I, typically, look for films that will keep me interested the whole time but I struggled to stay engaged during the entire movie. There weren’t any real plot twists or surprises. I felt like the film was trying to accomplish so many genres and concepts at once that it ended up failing.  I think that the film mainly lacked the attention-grabbing aspect that many viewers need in movies.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film’s aesthetic and comedy, the overall production and plot isn’t one of my favorites. I think more could’ve been added to provoke interest in the storyline. The film attempted to do a lot, and I think something that could’ve made it more interesting to me was focusing mainly on one genre, such as body-horror or love story, and centering the rest of the movie around that. I found that it felt like a somewhat divided film.

Brynn Theurer is a sophomore at Pace University, with this also being her second year in the Her Campus chapter. She enjoys contributing to the club by writing articles about different topics, ranging from activities to do around the city to entertainment, including new music and books. Aside from publishing articles for Her Campus, Brynn is currently a sophomore majoring in English, Language, and Literature with a minor in Journalism and Digital Storytelling. She enjoys contributing to HerCampus as it helps prepare her for her desired career of journalism. In her free time, Brynn enjoys surrounding herself with friends and family, going to the gym, and reading new books. She is a music fanatic and is almost always watching “Friends” when given the chance. She also enjoys the occasional shopping spree, and of course she enjoys writing whenever able. A fun fact about Brynn is that she currently has seventeen tattoos and twelve piercings, and plans to get more throughout her life.