This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

For the longest time, I’ve loved films and discussing them with my family and friends…then, the app Letterboxd came out. For the past two years, I’ve been using Letterboxd religiously to log every single movie I see. I rate them and add them to my diary. This year, though, I decided to review the movies instead of just rating. I’m not saying I’m a film critic or anything (that’s exactly what I’m saying), but here is a list of some of the best to worst movies I have seen this year so far. From dramas to romantic comedies, I go into how I personally feel about each and every film I watched. Whether I loved it or hated it, I let it be known in this review. If I rate one of your favorite movies lowly, I’m sorry, and if I rated a movie you hated highly, then mind your own business. 

Best:

The Iron Claw (2023) – 4 stars

I thought I was watching a movie about the rise and fall of a wrestling family, but boy, was I wrong. The film focuses on the Von Erich brothers as they become some of the most well-known wrestlers in the world. Their father constantly tries to instill toxic masculinity between the brothers by ranking them, and his forcing them to compete against each other to be the best was honestly so heartbreaking. It was clear the love the brothers had for each other was stronger than anything. It was them against the world. 

This was Zac Efron’s best performance, and being a fan since his High School Musical days, seeing him in a drama was refreshing. The cast was impeccable, and the acting was a 10/10. I recommend this movie if you want to shed some tears, but don’t watch it if you’re looking to finish the film with a smile!

All of Us Strangers (2023) – 4 stars

It’s such a beautifully gut-wrenching film. The main character, Adam, is dealing with grief and trauma all over again by envisioning his parents while they try to help him let go so he can live a happy life.  While this happens, Adam falls for Harry, a neighbor in his apartment complex. Adam falls in love for the first time while dealing with the most heartbreaking ordeals: reliving the death of his parents to find closure. The relationship between Adam and his parents was so sensitive and genuine that it made it even more sad when he had to see them go. 

I have no words for the ending other than entirely heartbreaking. I’m not going to give out any spoilers, but it’s another movie to watch if you want to feel your heart being ripped out of your chest. As you can see, I love sad movies! The only thing I can say is I was emotionally devastated by the end.

Suncoast (2024) – 3.5 stars

The complexity of a parent-child relationship can be difficult to depict, but this movie does an excellent job of it. Doris and her mother have a cumbersome relationship as Doris feels that her mom doesn’t love her as much as her brother, who has a severe illness and needs to be cared for and put into a hospice house. With the struggles of having her brother in hospice, being a teenager, and having no one to lean on, I couldn’t even imagine how she was feeling. The movie was a good watch and one to consider if you’re looking for an emotional coming-of-age film!

Crossroads (2002) – 3 stars

This film shows the importance of female friendships in a cute and fun way! Three former best friends go on a road trip together to California. During their journey, they rediscover their friendship. Together, they relive their past as best friends, make new memories, and become a group again. I honestly wish I had seen this movie sooner because it was such an easy and good watch if you only care about the vibes. I love movies that show the importance of platonic relationships. If you want a laugh and a lighthearted film for the girls, this is the one to watch.

P.S. Britney Spears is in it! 

Giant Little Ones (2018) – 3 stars

This movie has a very thoughtful and beautiful way of capturing teen sexuality. Both lead characters, Franky and Ballas, experienced the same incident but reacted in two completely different ways, showing the struggles and pressures of trying to figure yourself out at that age. Franky handled the situation gracefully and with such care regarding Ballas. He’s such a good person, and Ballas was dealing with a ton of internalized homophobia, which Franky sadly got the worst part of. It’s a beautiful film, and I would recommend it, especially if one of your favorite movies is Call Me By Your Name.

Upgraded (2024) – 3 stars

Sometimes, I’m just a girl who wants to watch a silly romantic comedy, and that’s precisely what this is! The plot was enjoyable, and it was different from most while keeping similar aspects of other romcoms. The career of the female lead, Ana, was a significant focus of the movie, and the fact that it was not dismissed after she met the male lead, Will, was appreciated. I didn’t like how fast she grew in her job, which was annoying and unrealistic, but I was still rooting for her! The ending was a bit rushed, but it was a happy ending, so that’s all that matters. Watch this film if you want a silly, cute movie with some witty banter.

Worst:

Mean Girls (2024) – 2.5 stars

I want to start by saying Reneé Rapp’s vocals were absolutely incredible. I enjoyed the fact that they stuck with the original plot but added a twist. The casting choices for Gretchen and Karen were spot on, but I would’ve preferred if they had more musical parts throughout the movie. Going in with low expectations made me enjoy it even more. The most tragic part of the movie was the outfits. The plastics would’ve NEVER been caught dead wearing any of the outfits in the movie. However, I wouldn’t have watched it if it wasn’t for the cast. If you don’t enjoy musicals, don’t watch this movie, and don’t have high expectations! 

Finestkind (2023) – 2.5 stars

This was one of the most confusing movies I’ve ever seen, and you could tell it wasn’t intentional. The film’s first half focused on two brothers reconnecting and becoming fishermen together, but then the second half was them getting involved in a drug exchange gone wrong. If someone had shown me two separate clips from this movie, I would’ve easily thought they were two different movies. The only enjoyable part was Jenna Ortega and Toby Wallace, two of the leads in it. 

Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004) – 2 stars

The lack of romance in this romantic comedy was disappointing. The majority of the romantic scenes were between Tad and Rosalee (and even those weren’t romantic at all), so when Pete finally confesses his love for Rosalee and she reciprocates, it’s a little weird. The ending was cute, but not satisfying. The whole thing was unrealistic, and not in a “that would be a dream if it happened to me” kind of way, but in a “yeah, right, that would never happen” kind of way. This was a tragic excuse for a romantic comedy!

Float (2023) – 1.5 stars

I’ve always been the type of person who bases how good the film is solely on vibes, so I assumed this movie would’ve been at least decent, because I’m a sucker for a corny romance story, but… I was very disappointed. This romantic drama was the definition of boring. The two leads had no chemistry, and the plot gave us nothing. It was about Waverly, the female lead, visiting her aunt’s Canadian town, where she falls for a lifeguard, Blake, while simultaneously learning how to swim from him. I thought the plot would’ve been cute, but the lack of chemistry made me hate it. Don’t waste an hour and 40 minutes on th

Which Brings Me to You (2023) – 1.5 stars

I’m not a big fan of a 24-hour romance story, as I prefer a more detailed storyline where the leads fall in love, so I knew this wouldn’t be my cup of tea right away. The film dragged on, and I was barely hanging on by a thread, waiting for it to end. The storyline was only one whole day, but it felt like years. I wish there had been more progression between the leads so we could see where the relationship was going. 

P.S. What was that singing scene about?

Skylar Benitez is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Pace! She oversees all the social media platforms, creates content, and actively works to gain engagement. She has been a member of Her Campus at Pace for 3 years and loves writing about fashion, pop culture, and lifestyle. Outside of Her Campus, Skylar works as a hostess and a social media marketing intern. She is a senior Communication and Media Studies major. Skylar is a content creator for College Fashionista and Campus Trendsetter. Creating content is one of her favorite things to do and she hopes to continue working in this field. In her free time, Skylar enjoys thrifting, listening to music, watching movies, reading romance novels, and attending concerts. Making the perfect playlists takes up most of her time, and she probably spends 3 hours alone making one. If you were to ask her what her favorite app on her phone is, she would say Letterboxd! She loves everything about fashion, and most articles focus on that. Skylar loves making YouTube videos and creating content about fashion on her social media platforms. If you need to know anything about the most recent pop culture news, Skylar is your girl to go to!