Leadership Series: The Monuments of D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Everyone had their own expectations for the famous monuments in D.C. With so much to see, we were anxious to visit every monument at the National Mall within the two days we were visiting. We also wanted to identify ourselves with the meaning of the structures. As leaders of civic engagement, we hoped to bring back useful knowledge of what it means to establish a solid community, as solid as the monumental buildings.

On the first night, a group of us wandered into the National Mall with the help of a Pleasantville student who interned at the White House! Cool, right? He gave us tips and tricks for commuting in the area, and fun facts about the White House and State Capitol. This was especially helpful because of how often the public confuses the two buildings with each other – the White House is not the white building with the dome, by the way! On another note, visiting the monuments at night is an experience of its own, because they are beautifully lit until sunrise.​

On the second and third day, we were able to sight-see on a beautifully sunny day. Coincidence? I think not! The universe was totally in our favor while exploring the city of national treasures. My group and I headed down to the White House, the Washington Memorial, and the Supreme Court, where all structures of stone and marble majestically stood for our cameras. Being in the presence of those buildings was truly inspiring because they represent bravery, determination, and initiative for national wellbeing.​

Hey!   I am a student and a Campus Trendsetter at one of the Big Apple's coolest campus (Pace University)! I love hiking during the summer and exploring the city on my free time, along with Yelping on the coolest restaurants around the country. Although the Golden Coast is where home is at, taking on the "City that never sleeps" has become my latest adventure! 
I am an elementary education and special education major with a minor in psychology at Pace University. I love singing, playing the guitar reading, writing, shopping, and eating. My dream in the world is to help kids with special needs and be there beacon of hope as well as to travel a lot to see what the world has to offer!