Larissa Szilagyi (’18)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Name: Larissa Szilagyi

Year: Sophomore (’18)

Major(s): Political Science and Women’s & Gender Studies

Minor(s): Queer Studies

Hometown: Edison, New Jersey

Zodiac Sign: Taurus

Last year you brought the Women’s Political Caucus to Pace University, making this chapter the second national chapter. What inspired you to do so and what was the process of getting this amazing feat to Pace like?: “When I was a senior in high school, I applied to an internship my last semester as a policy intern for New Jersey State Senator Peter Barnes. I got the position and had great opportunities to further my knowledge in policy but also to network. One organization I was frequently networking with was the New Jersey Women’s Political Caucus. I went to a happy hour (well I guess not too happy for me because I was only 18) and networked with people from the state and national chapter. They told me that the only college chapter existing is the Rutgers University chapter. I loved the organization and mission so much that I decided my goal in college was to bring this to Pace University. The first step was getting people interested which we did by engaging people through information sessions. We are currently in the process of being approved by SDACA as we just finished our constitution. It has all been about engaging women who are interested in politics and keeping them engaged. I’m hoping we bring really amazing events to Pace University next year.”

You recently attended the 60th session of the Commission on the Status of Women at the UN. What was that experience like for you? What is the most valuable thing you took away from that experience?: “It was an incredible experience! I had the opportunity to attend the CSW because I was apart of Dr. Emily Bent’s Gender and Human Rights class. Dr. Bent worked extremely hard to get us all passes to the event. The CSW is extremely exhausting but completely worth the exhaustion. When I imagined the CSW, I imagined myself meeting like-minded women who wanted to destroy the patriarchy with me. I imagined my opinion completely being embraced by every woman in the room. However, I think the most valuable thing I took from the experience was that women are not monolithic. Just because we are women, does not mean we have the same opinions about every issue. I really believe that revelation helps any activist because it helps us understand we have to shape our opinions in ways that everyone can understand them.”

I know that you’re an activist for women’s empowerment, Junior E-Board member for WEN, starting the Women’s Political Caucus, being a student assistant in the WGS department, and being the co-founder and director of policy for PaceUEndRape. Your Twitter bio (which is perfection, by the way) says “Radical feminist exploring NYC and NJ.” Why, in your opinion, is it so important to be involved with various platforms that let women’s voices be heard? “It is important to stay involved in various platforms because “women’s issues” is too vague to combat within itself. There are so many issues facing women that one organization cannot fight them all. For example, the Women’s Political Caucus was founded to focus on educating women and empowering them to pursue a career in the political sphere, while PaceUEndRape is a grassroots campaign working to eradicate sexual violence on college campuses. Both organizations have women’s interests in mind but are different in their own ways. Being a part of various platforms helps fight for different aspects of women’s issues, as all issues are not monolithic.”

Favorite memory at Pace thus far?: “My favorite memory at Pace University is my first meeting I ever had with PaceUEndRape. About 4 of us gather in the courtyard discussing next steps in pressuring the administration to make reform on sexual assault policies at Pace. We came up with campaigns and presentations we would give. I think it’s my favorite memory because when I look back, we were such a small powerful group that has now expanded into a large powerhouse, so its crazy to think of the beginning. Also, I have met most of my best friends because of PaceUEndRape so looking back to when I sat with them in the courtyard as a shy, nervous freshman starting her first week at college, I never would have thought that some of the people at the table would end up being family to me.”

Where do you see yourself in five years?: “In five years, I will hopefully be finishing law school and pursuing a job within policy writing.”

What is your favorite TV show?: “Portlandia”

Battle of the bookstores: Bluestockings or The Strand?: “Bluestockings, by far! Bluestockings is actually my favorite bookstore.  You could probably catch me there when I’m having a bad day and need to get out of the residence halls. Something about queer activist books can always cheer me up.” 

Anna Sejuelas is a feminist, poet, and senior at Pace University in New York City, pursuing a double major in English Language and Literature and Women’s Studies. Anna was born and raised in New York City, which is her first love. When she’s not writing poetry or writing articles for HC Pace, Medium, or FLURT Magazine, she can be found singing everything from arias to rap.
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.