This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

At my core, I’m just a girl born and raised in a small town in New Jersey, and just like so many others, I grow bored quite often. I find myself roaming the streets I deem so familiar, bouncing between work and home on almost every summer day. However, this year I’ve decided to change my ways and use the summer to do all the things I’ve always wanted to do in and around New Jersey. After all, there are so many activities to participate in that often go overlooked and they lie within an hour of my hometown. I have compiled a list of six fun and simple bucket list items, focused in, but not limited to, the New Jersey area. 

Beach Days

If you’re from New Jersey, you know a trip to the Jersey Shore is essential to the perfect summer. Jersey Shore beaches fall among some of the nicest beaches in the United States and are a popular vacation spot for locals and tourists. There’s truly nothing like a day in the sun at the Jersey Shore, and I can assure you, it’s not like the infamous reality television show…unless you want it to be. From the iconic boardwalks to the perfect sand, I find myself missing a good old beach day. While some may opt for Long Branch or Seaside, I tend to appreciate a more quiet beach experience at Sea Bright, Sandy Hook, and even Lavalette, if you’re willing to make the drive. Unfortunately, the majority of New Jersey beaches aren’t free and you must purchase a beach pass upon your arrival. However, if you bring a student ID with you, you can receive a discounted pass. Regardless of the small cost, I’m yearning for a nice, sunny day on the sand with my Pura Vida Playa Bowl in my hand.

Go Hiking

Hiking is not for everyone. It certainly was not for me, until about two years ago, when I went on a trip to Sedona, Arizona. Prior to that trip, I’d been intimidated by hiking and thought I was unable to walk through the wilderness for an extended amount of time without growing bored. However, I was proven wrong. Hiking is a fun, easy way to exercise and it allows you to explore and appreciate nature in ways you may not have considered before. Even in a smaller town such as Milburn, New Jersey, there is a section of woods in which you can hike a multitude of different trails. I would also suggest bringing a friend if you are prone to boredom or scared of being alone with your thoughts for too long. Hiking is a great way to set aside time to talk to someone and get to know them on a deeper level. Some local spots that I like to explore include the Watchung Reservation and Round Valley, but in New Jersey, your options are nearly endless.

Have a Picnic

If there’s one thing I take absolute pride in, it’s my Pinterest account. My recent obsession is all the aesthetic picnic photos on my Pinterest feed. Nothing sounds more whimsical than going to a cute park in New Jersey, or maybe even Central Park in New York, and enjoying a nice charcuterie board, an iced tea, and a sweet treat with some friends. Isn’t that what girlhood is truly about? It’s a priority of mine to romanticize my life and time with my friends this summer. 

Spend a day at a museum

Although we try to manifest the perfect summers, sometimes rain does fall, and on those rainy summer days, there is nothing more perfect to do than go museum hopping. I say hopping, but some museums are a full-day activity. My personal favorite is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Its endless rooms and hallways allow you to easily weave from exhibit to exhibit, and you’ll find yourself within the walls of the MET for hours.

Karaoke

Given that I’m not a talented singer by nature, I’ve always had a fear of karaoke. If I do find myself in a situation involving karaoke, I make it a point to just spectate and avoid performing at all costs. However, it’s a new year and I am trying to push myself out of my comfort zone, so if an opportunity presents itself, I will have to seize it and try some low-pressure karaoke. One karaoke place that I enjoy going to in New Jersey is called Roosterspin in Westfield. The spot also doubles as a bar, so while my friends and family sing their hearts out, I can enjoy a nice meal.

Be creative

I’ve always enjoyed painting and drawing, but over the past two years, I have fallen out of my creative habits. That being said, it is my goal this summer to engage in creative activities. This could include doing a paint and sip, glass fusing, pottery making, or anything else that would allow me to relax my mind. Although in the past I have always turned to Color Me Mine, over the years, I’ve begun going to Fire Me Up in Cranford, NJ. This is simply because they offer both pottery painting and glass fusing, both of which I find intriguing, so I appreciate this variety. Additionally, one place that I have not been able to try yet but I am looking forward to visiting is Happy Medium, located not too far from Pace University!

Sierra is a freshmen, Digital Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor at Pace University. She is a first year staff writer for Her Campus at Pace and enjoys writing more humorous pieces about pop culture. In the past, Sierra has written for her high school newsletter known as "The Dawg Print" and taken several journalism classes and she is looking forward to expanding on this background. In addition to Her Campus at Pace, Sierra is also a new member of the American Marketing Association at Pace and the P.A.C.E. Board. She enjoys brainstorming for both these clubs and especially likes that they expose her to people of all backgrounds and stories. Outside of school and work Sierra spends most of her time listening to music, watching romantic comedies, binging sit-coms, shopping for clothes she probably doesn’t need, going to museums, or exploring new places to eat. She likes a variety of different musical artists and will never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert. Sierra frequently watches the movies A Rainy Day in New York and Breakfast at Tiffany’s but is no stranger to shows such as The Office and New Girl. Sierra is also interested in museum hopping however her favorite exhibits remain at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.