Style

I’d Crawl To The Ends Of The Earth For My Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

On Sunday, Oct. 22, Pace Sustainability Initiative (PSI) hosted a Halloween thrift crawl for students looking to upcycle their costumes. The group met at noon outside of One Pace Plaza and promptly traveled to the East Village after some brief introductions. The Church of Immaculate Conception’s flea market (off East 14th and First Avenue) was the first stop of the trip. Tucked into a covert courtyard, the weekly rummage sale was overflowing with eclectic goodies, ranging from fur jackets to vintage stereos. Local vendors chatted while potential customers browsed the packed lot; their sense of community was palpable. 

After students finished their haggling, the group walked to No Relation Vintage, one of several L Train Vintage locations. While the store is significantly smaller than its Brooklyn counterpart, the overall aesthetic remains the same. For those who are in search of grandpa sweaters and biker jackets to complete their Halloween outfits, look no further. The only drawback of this vintage clothing store is that prices are high, even for New York City thrifting standards. However, if you value high-quality pieces that will last, No Relation Vintage is worth the investment. 

The club ended its expedition at East Village Thrift Shop. Practically overflowing with aisles of clothing, this location inarguably has the most character of the three stops. The inside of the shop was covered in tapestries and posters taped to the walls, and as far as thrift stores go, the grungier, the better. This location was a gold mine for those in search of odds and ends to finish their outfits. From glittery blazers to wind pants, shoppers were bound to find something hidden in the racks. 

Once the event officially concluded, a few members explored the Lower East Side to round off the day. Additional stops included Vintage Reserve, Buffalo Exchange, and Tokyo Joe NYC. Most notably, Buffalo Exchange featured a Halloween section with an abundance of used costumes. The other two stores, however, heired more so on the side of vintage reselling, both inventory and price-wise. Regardless, event-goers successfully came away with some timeless finds. 

In fact, PSI Treasurer Abigail Leach and Vice President Xavier Allen were happy to elaborate on how beneficial shopping secondhand can be. Abigail explained that, “The costume industry is one of the most wasteful because most costumes end up going to landfills after the holiday. So by shopping second-hand, you’re eliminating unnecessary waste that the fashion industry produces. It’s also budget-friendly!” Xavier expanded on the personal benefits of shopping through used and vintage stores; he said, “I love to mix daily fashion with Halloween costumes, so if you tend to lean toward secondhand staples, you can wear your clothing year-round.” 

As far as having a successful day at the thrift, Xavier advises, “Just keep an open mind. If you’re going in with a plan to buy something specific, remember that you never truly know what you’re going to find.” The Vice President’s advice is applicable not only during seasonal thrift crawls but more broadly for refurbishing day-to-day wardrobes. All in all, whether you’re trying to make your holiday shopping a little more ethical or making more considerable lifestyle changes, any effort matters. 

Emma Frederickson is a writer for Pace’s chapter of Her Campus. This is her second year writing for the magazine, and she consistently covers topics ranging from sustainability politics to pop culture. Outside of Her Campus, she is completing her undergrad as a Communication and Media Studies major with a minor in Peace and Justice, and hopes to eventually get a masters degree in Publishing. She is an active member of several other organizations including Pace Sustainability Initiative and the Pace Honors College. Emma hosts a weekly podcast, And They Were Roommates, on WPUB radio. In her spare time, she volunteers with the Bowery Residents’ Committee. In her personal life, Emma has a passion for clothing and can always be found thrifting somewhere in the city. She can also be found reading or doing yoga on days where she is not out and about. On the weekends, Emma enjoys curling up and watching a movie with friends. Otherwise, she can be found traveling home to Easton, Pennsylvania for a much needed visit with her pup!