How To Take Care Of Yourself During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

How to take care of yourself during finals

It’s the busiest time of the year. With finals, papers, group projects to complete Christmas break cannot come soon enough. But with deadlines looming and holiday celebrations in full swing, often times we forget to take care of ourselves. We forget that in order to check off all the things we need to accomplish on that never ending to-do list, self-care is not a priority. Here are some things to keep in mind this finals season:

1. Make sure to stay hydrated!

Drink lots of water. Since you will probably be downing lots of coffee and energy drinks to get you through marathon study sessions, you can become progressively more dehydrated. Keep a water bottle with you to sip on all day. Also consider switching to tea instead of coffee when you need a caffeine fix.

2. Get plenty of sleep

I know that this is something we are constantly being told but sleep is very important. I know sometimes that we have to stay up late to cram for an exam or finish a paper but sleep is important. Not only does getting enough sleep every night keep you healthy but it also helps to retain all that information you worked so hard to gain when you were studying.

3. Get moving!

Not all of us workout as frequently as we should but especially during this time of year we should make sure to squeeze in some sort of movement. It doesn’t have to be a full, intense workout especially if you don’t frequently hit the gym to begin with. Consider though taking a walk as a study break. Not only will it clear your head, but it can also help relieve your stress.

4. Do something that makes you happy

Often times during finals we forget to take time for ourselves during finals. I would recommend doing something that makes you happy. Visit a museum, see a movie you have been dying to see, or spend a few hours volunteering somewhere. Getting out of your dorm and out of the library to take your mind off of everything that is stressing you out will really do you a lot of good.

5. Reward yourself

After a particularly hard exam or turning in a difficult assignment, treat yourself to some sort of reward. Buy yourself a yummy sweet or buy yourself those shoes you have been eyeing. By planning some sort of treat prior to the reward, you will have something to look forward to. I know I am looking forward to treating myself a mani-pedi.

Hi, my name's Savannah and I'm an apple living in the big apple. I love red sour patch kids and huge cups of coffee. Always on the look out for good books and new adventures.
Hi! My name is Jacqueline and I am a senior communication studies major with minors in business and women and gender studies at Pace University. I am the president / campus correspondent for the Her Campus Pace Chapter and the president of the production club PopTV. I am a Hufflepuff and lover of all things Harry Potter! Also, I am a HUGE Marvel fan! When I am not writing and leading Her Campus, I like to spend my time reading, watching Netflix, and singing every song that comes on Spotify.