This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I’ve been struggling with my mental health since the eighth grade, and honestly it’s been a wild ride since then. Finding ways to cope with my depression and anxiety while at the same time dealing with the stress of school has been tough, but over the past couple of years I have found some really good ones that have transitioned over to college with me, and now that I am a pre-med major, I need them more than ever.

So, without further ado, here are my top tips on how to stay sane while in college.

Tip Number 1: Have a Planner

One of the things I’ve found most helpful when dealing with anxiety is being organized and having a plan (not to mention it helps with my goldfish-sized memory).

We’ve all been told since grade school is that we should keep a planner with all our homework written down in it. Now that I’m older and the responsibilities keep piling on, I keep way more things in my planner then just homework. Actually, I have about three planners at this point: one where I keep academic events in (tests, quizzes, project due dates), another where I put the dates of social events (spa day at school or seeing a movie with friends), and one that I make checklists for the day in. Of course, you don’t have to be as Extra™ as me, but you should definitely get a planner that holds all key info that you need to remember. It helps to prevent that “oh sh*t” moment that happens the night before a test when you actually remember there is a test.

Tip Number 2: Take Up Yoga

Do I sound like a white suburban mom telling you to go do some yoga? Yes. Am I right none of the less? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Yoga has improved my overall wellbeing, it’s crazy. There are many benefits to yoga. One of them is what I like to call the “Mind Numbing Effect.” The Mind Numbing Effect is when you’ve reached the point of exercise where you don’t think anymore, you just do. This is one of the main reasons, along with the physical health benefits of course, why I love exercising. For someone like me, whose brain is always going a million miles an hour, it’s nice to be able to get that almost primal break where my sole focus is moving.

The reason I’m suggesting yoga in particular and not just generalized “exercise” is because the extra stress-reducing powers yoga holds. Not only are you getting to forget about your problems for a while, but you’re also stretching and practicing breathing methods, both proven ways of reducing stress.

Tip Number 3: Get on a Regulated Sleep Schedule

Sleep. Something a lot of people our age like to neglect in favor of studying or going out with friends, but please, please believe me when I say this- sleep is the most important thing for our overall health. From depression to blood pressure, you name it, sleep affects it³. Having a full night’s rest will have your brain and body on high alert for the day to come, making it much easier to deal with any task or problem thrown your way.

This is why it’s important to get the recommended hours of sleep. For people our age (18 and up) the recommended time usually ranges from 7-9 hours a night. I like to set my alarm for the morning the night before. That way, let’s say if I know I’m going to fall asleep around eleven, I can set the alarm for, at the very least 6AM for the minimum hours of sleep, and at the most 8AM for the max. Not sleeping enough and sleeping too much have negative effects on the brain, so try to always shoot for the 7-9 range.

Please guys, I beg you, GO TO SLEEP.

(P.S. If anyone has trouble going to sleep, I recommend the Sleep With Me⁴ podcast or watching an episode of The Joy of Painting⁵ with Bob Ross.)

Tip Number 4: Learn How to Say No

This is a hard one, especially for us ladies who have been taught that saying no is rude our whole lives, but it’s necessary if you want to keep your sanity.

Whether it’s saying no to a party or to adding an extra club to your resume, you need to know when to put your foot down. Before saying yes to another thing, ask yourself if you have the time, energy, and mental capacity to take this on. If any of the answers to these questions is no, don’t do it. It’s that simple. It might seem like a good idea at the time to take the extra thing on, and yes, you might experience some FOMO from your friend’s post, but in the long run your mental health will thank you.

Tip Number 5: Find Time For Yourself Throughout the Day

If I had to choose only one of these tips for you to take away today, it would be this one. I learned it from my therapist (shoutout Jessica), when I first came to her complaining about how I would get overwhelmed during a busy day. She told me something that has honestly changed my life for the better, and that is that you have to check in on yourself. I know-that sounds crazy-to just, in the middle of whatever, suddenly ask yourself if you’re still holding up or if you feel like the world is plummeting into the sun.

Trust me, though- it works.

Now, of course you’re not going to suddenly stand up, wrap your arms around yourself, and yell, “ ARE YOU OKAY,” because, well, that’s weird. The method I’m going to teach you today is way more simple and nonchalant. It’s a couple of steps and only takes a few minutes.

The First Step: Pick a time during the day to do the check-in. This can be an exact time, like two o’clock, or just a general ‘lunch time’. If you’re forgetful like me, set a timer, or write it down somewhere you know you’ll see.

The Second Step: Breathe. Play some calming music, pick a place to sit or lie down, and just breathe for a minute. When we get super busy, we sometimes forget to literally take in oxygen the way we’re supposed to. Taking deep breaths through your nose helps your mind to work better⁶, which in return can help you figure out that one problem that’s been getting in your way all day or find the answers to this next step.

The Third Step: Ask yourself (in your head) how you’re doing. This may sound silly, but it’s important to check in with how you’re doing both physically and mentally when you’re so busy you can’t see straight. Ask things like, “ how’s my breathing? Am I breathing too fast, or am I not even breathing?” and, “Did you eat today?” These questions, though they may look insignificant, can really help you be able to know where you stand throughout the day, and if you need to do/work on anything that could improve how you’re feeling. This can really improve your day and it only takes three steps, so why not?

———— (break from tips)

Remember, these tips might work for me, but not so much for you. Also look up other ways to keep your mental health in check while at college to ensure you’re getting the best advice possible.

And if all else fails, take Queen Ariana’s advice, and just keep breathin’.

Links:

1. My Favorite Planners-https://www.bando.com/collections/planners

2. How Stretching and Exercise Help with Stress- https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/exercising-to-relax

3. How Not Getting Enough Sleep Affects Your Health- https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/sleep-deprivation-and-deficiency

4. Sleep with Me Podcast-https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/

5. The Joy of Painting-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcnsr1R5Ge_fbTu5ajt8DQ

6. Breathing-https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/how-we-breathe-effects-our-thoughts-and-feelings-northwestern-neuroscientists-find

My name's Madi Mihailuk and I'm a writer for the Pace Chapter of Her Campus!