Wellness

How to Stay Connected To Your College Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

With the spring semester beginning virtually again, some students can remain disconnected from their college community and lifestyle. As we approach a year of quarantine, it can be hard to remember what life was like pre-coronavirus. If you are like me, you are longing for your old dorm, friends, and college routine. It can be difficult to remain active in your community and make friends through the lifeless world of Zoom. As someone who is trying to remain motivated as well. Here are some tips that can help you feel a sense of belonging. 

Join Organizations

Her Campus Pace has been one of the most useful social outlets for me since I moved back home for virtual learning. I know it can be hard to come out of Zoom fatigue, but try to attend as many meetings as you can. Once you get into the routine, I promise you it will be something you look forward to each week.

Attend Events and Giveaways

Attending events has never been easier! You no longer have to trek into the cold, rain, or snow to attend a conference or concert. Look out for all the amazing events organizations set up each week! Also, follow your school on social media and organizations as online giveaways are peaking due to a more flexible budget. You never know, you could win anything from a free puzzle to free coffee! 

Actually Participate in Class

I know participation is so 2019, but you NEED to participate. I know how tempting it is to turn off your camera and go on Tik Tok, but you are wasting money by doing that. Why are you paying thousands of dollars to not have an input in your class? Trust me, professors are struggling as well, and they will probably adore you if you participate. Remember, you are the only one who can make your class experience worthwhile. 

Reach Out to Other Students or Friends

We all are lonely and feeling separated in these times. Whenever you need time away from the classroom, reach out to your friends. You can set up a virtual game or movie nights to take your mind off stressful things. Reach out to classmates to have a Zoom or socially distanced study session. The best way to combat loneliness is to keep yourself occupied. Everyone needs a friend right now, so do not be scared of finding your bubble buddy. 

Know You Will Get to Return 

This is the one I struggle with the most. Acknowledging you will be able to go back to your independence, friends, and lifestyle will help you in the long run. I know it can feel hopeless watching your friends who have already moved back to campus, but everyone is where they are for a reason. As someone who stayed home, I know I have had amazing opportunities that I would not have if I moved back right away. You will get back to the adventures, good times, and memories soon.

It can be hard to sit and wait, but you will be back. You will be okay in the end. It can be hard to remain focused, mentally and physically well, social, and in good academic standings. However, once we get through this historic pandemic, you can look back and be proud of yourself. Pat yourself on the back once in a while. We are all doing the best that we can.

Hi everyone! I'm Alysa and I am the former Campus Correspondent for HC Pace NYC. I majored in Communication Studies and minored in Sociology & Anthropology and Arts & Entertainment Management. Within my articles you can find everything I love to write including, pop culture, sports, politics, and my personal NYC experiences! Feel free to connect with me on my socials!