This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

For months, I have been on Pinterest, constantly pinning these fashion looks that I would soon find out are described as the ‘NYC Cool Girl’ aesthetic. I was determined to achieve this look by any means. Here’s what I learned:

Headphones

Instead of using earbuds or AirPods, I switch them out for cute headphones. Not only can I listen to my favorite music, but it also serves as an accessory. Adding ribbons or headphone covers gives a little extra to the look. It’s comfy, yet cool.

Lots and lots of Jewelry

I’m a big jewelry girl, so I often wear a bunch of rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets all in one go. If wearing a lot of jewelry isn’t your thing, then going simple is also a good way to go.  Wear what makes you channel your “cooler” persona!

effortlessly Cool

One thing I have learned while analyzing my many Pinterest pins dedicated to this look is that the outfits are almost always an elevated casual look. It’s all about looking casual but also being able to wear the outfit to a dinner. I prefer a casual top with a long, lacy skirt to give off the impression that I’m not trying too hard (even when I definitely am).

Patterns

If there is one thing I took away from my personal cool girl journey, it is that mix-matching patterns is a huge “yes.” Even if the patterns don’t make sense, trust the process, because it will come together. Adding a pattern to my outfit makes it look so much better than sticking to solid colors. My go-to patterns are plaid, floral, and gingham!

Accessorize

Accessories play a big role in this whole look! My plain outfits look better by adding belts, a purse, or even hair accessories. If you think the accessory will improve your outfit, just wear it. There is no such thing as too much accessorizing. 

boots

Just wear boots! There is nothing cooler than wearing a pair of boots with my outfit! My cowboy boots are essential in my closet; I wear them at least five times a week.

Sneakers

If you’re not a boots person, sneakers are the next best thing! I’ve seen a ton of sneakers being worn with almost every outfit. Sneakers add that casual effect that is a must to achieve this look. If I could wear my Converse with every outfit, I would.

Skylar Benitez is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Pace! She oversees all the social media platforms, creates content, and actively works to gain engagement. She has been a member of Her Campus at Pace for 3 years and loves writing about fashion, pop culture, and lifestyle. Outside of Her Campus, Skylar works as a hostess and a social media marketing intern. She is a senior Communication and Media Studies major. Skylar is a content creator for College Fashionista and Campus Trendsetter. Creating content is one of her favorite things to do and she hopes to continue working in this field. In her free time, Skylar enjoys thrifting, listening to music, watching movies, reading romance novels, and attending concerts. Making the perfect playlists takes up most of her time, and she probably spends 3 hours alone making one. If you were to ask her what her favorite app on her phone is, she would say Letterboxd! She loves everything about fashion, and most articles focus on that. Skylar loves making YouTube videos and creating content about fashion on her social media platforms. If you need to know anything about the most recent pop culture news, Skylar is your girl to go to!