This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

There are many Disney Channel shows that I enjoyed as a kid, but none of them have left a mark on my life quite like Austin & Ally. The show about a shy songwriter teaming with an overnight popstar to make music aired on December 2nd, 2011, and I watched it religiously up until its last episode on January 10th, 2016. I have absolutely no shame when I admit that to this day, I still listen to every single song from this show, and it has almost been ten years since the show was on television. The show changed my life in two ways; it taught me how to be confident and not let fear get in the way of living my best life, and it also introduced me to the best famous siblings out there- the Lynch family.

On December 2nd, 2011, I had no idea how much of an impact that blonde boy using hot dogs as drumsticks would have on my life. In fifth grade, I used to walk around school saying “Austin Moon, my boyfriend!” and found every excuse to somehow include him in the stories I wrote in English class. It wasn’t just because I thought he was cute; I was in love with the music. Songs from the Austin & Ally soundtrack are tied to many special moments from my life. I listened to the first Austin & Ally album on the drive to Virginia when we brought my dog Sadie home. Now, every time I hear those songs, I think of my best furry friend and the unique bond we have. Other songs from that album remind me of Friday nights I would spend with family and friends, having dance parties in my basement. Years later, I sang R5’s Christmas song, “Christmas is Coming,” at one of my first voice recitals in high school. After seeing Ally Dawson, who has stage fright, perform in front of crowds on Austin & Ally, I was inspired to put myself out there and gained the confidence I needed. Back then, I liked these songs for the beat, but now that I’m older they have a deeper meaning. Listening to those songs now makes them more special as they remind me of people in my life. Now that I’m older, the songs from Austin & Ally make sense to me, as silly as that may sound because it is a kids’ show, but I am extremely grateful to have found them. 

I vividly remember looking up Ross’s IMDb page after watching the pilot episode, and learning about his siblings and their family band, R5. Yes, this is just a show, and these are just people who work in the entertainment industry and make their lives public to their fans; but to me, they’re so much more. I have Austin & Ally to thank for “introducing” me to him, because I found a band that I would grow up with and whose music would get me through the ups and downs of life. I bought Ross Lynch’s signature R5 guitar pick necklace in 2013, and have worn it almost every day since- it’s very worn-out, but is still a staple part of my wardrobe to this day. It is around my neck in a majority of photos from 2013 to this year. I even have a tattoo of the band’s logo.

Growing up, from elementary school to now, Austin & Ally, as well as the Lynch family’s music and online content, is an outlet and a place to go to find comfort and inspiration. If I hadn’t discovered that Disney show, I wouldn’t have found the best band in the world, with a group of extraordinary individuals who have greatly influenced my life. It is crazy how something as simple as watching television could lead to a decade of one-of-a-kind music, fashion advice (thank you Rydel), making new friends, and new experiences. Even though I may have grown up and matured a little bit more, I’ll always love the music from Austin & Ally, as well as R5. People have said in the past that I’m still a child because I still like Disney music from a kids show. However, I see nothing wrong with me enjoying truly good music, regardless of where it came from or what year. Why would I hold myself back from enjoying something just because other people think it’s crazy? It makes me happy and reminds me of the good old days. I’ll always hold a place in my heart for them no matter what. In fact, now that I think about it, it’s time to rewatch Austin & Ally on Disney Plus!

Melanie Bumpus is a freshman at Pace University majoring in Communication Studies (and fluent in Arrested Development quotes). She is either at a concert or watching 10 Things I Hate About You for the millionth time. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9551530/