Hexes and Heartbreak: A Scarlet Witch-Inspired Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In 2014’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier post-credits scene, Marvel gave us the first glimpse of Wanda Maximoff- AKA Scarlet Witch. Ever since, the ultra-powerful Avenger has garnered many fans, myself included. Between her past and present, Wanda never seemed to catch a break, and WandaVision shows exactly how she’s dealing with all that trauma. I’ve created a playlist to reflect everyone’s favorite resilient, caring, impulsive sorceress with a strong sense of right and wrong (and you can listen to it on Spotify here). 

1. “Love Story” by Sarah Cothran 

Best lyric: “Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone / I’ll be waiting, all there’s left to do is run / You’ll be the prince and I’ll be the princess / It’s a love story, baby, just say, “Yes” / Romeo, save me, they’re trying tell me how to feel / This love is difficult, but it’s real / Don’t be afraid, we’ll make it out of this mess.”

2. “Ghost Of You” by 5 Seconds of Summer

Best lyric: “So I drown it out like I always do / dancing through our house with the ghost of you.”

3. “everything i wanted” by Billie Eilish

Best lyric: “I had a dream / I got everything I wanted / not what you’d think / and if I’m being honest / it might’ve been a nightmare / to anyone who might care” (bonus: “as long as I’m here / no one can hurt you”). 

4. “Graveyard” by Halsey

Best lyric: “Oh, cause I keep digging myself down deeper / I won’t stop ’till I get where you are.”

5. “Violent” by carolesdaughter

Best lyric: “Don’t make me get violent / I want my ring back, baby, that’s a diamond.” 

6. “I Put A Spell On You” by Annie Lennox

Best lyric: “I put a spell on you / because you’re mine.”

7. “All For Us” by Labrinth and Zendaya

Best lyric: “I’m taking it all for us / taking it all for us / oh / I’m doing it all for love.”

8. “Don’t Blame Me” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “Don’t blame me, love made me crazy.” 

9. “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac

Best lyric: “She is like a cat in the dark / and then she is the darkness / she rules her life like a fine skylark.”

10. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Lorde 

Best lyric: “It’s my own design / it’s my own remorse.” 

11. “hostage” by Billie Eilish

Best lyric: “It’s not like me to be so mean, you’re all I wanted / just let me hold you / like a hostage.”

12. “Control” by Halsey 

Best lyric: “And all the kids cry out ‘please stop, you’re scaring me’ / I can’t help this awful energy / god damn right, you should be scared of me / who is in control?”

13. “A Little Wicked” by Valerie Broussard

Best lyric: “Cause I am, I am / a little wicked / I am, yes, I am / hands red, hands red.”

14. “Blood // Water” by grandson

Best lyric: “Now I am the violence / I am the sickness / won’t accept your silence / beg me for forgiveness.”

15. “you should see me in a crown” by Billie Eilish

Best lyric: “Watch me make ’em bow / one by one by one.” 

16. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)” by Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, and Dave Stewart

Best lyric: “Sweet dreams are made of this / who am I to disagree?”

17. “Paint It, Black” by Ciara

Best lyric: “Maybe then, I’ll fade away / and not have to face the facts / it’s not easy facing up / when your whole world is black.”

18. “I Did Something Bad” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “They say I did something bad / but why’s it feel so good? / most fun I ever had.”

19. “Witchy Woman” by Eagles

Best lyric: “Raven hair and ruby lips / sparks fly from her fingertips.”

20. “Oh No!” by MARINA

Best lyric: “TV taught me how to feel / now real life has no appeal.” 

21. “Dangerous” by Big Data and Joywave

Best lyric: “You understand I got a plan for us / I bet you didn’t know that I was dangerous / it must be fate, I found a place for us / I bet you didn’t know someone could love you this much.”

22. “Joke’s On You” by Charlotte Lawrence

Best lyric: “And now I’m laughing through my tears / I’m crying through my fear.”

23. “Simmer” by Hayley Williams

Best lyric: “Oh, how to draw the line between wrath and mercy?”

24. “Power” by Little Mix

Best lyric: “You should know, I’m the one who’s in control.”

25. “Nightmare” by Halsey

Best lyric: “I’ve tasted blood and it is sweet / I’ve had the rug pulled beneath my feet / I’ve trusted lies and trusted men / broke down and put myself back together again.”

26. “Burning Pile” by Mother Mother

Best lyric: “It goes, all my troubles in a burning pile / all lit up and I start to smile.”

27. “You Don’t Own Me” by SAYGRACE and G-Eazy

Best lyric: “Don’t tell me what to do / and don’t tell me what to say.”

28. “Yellow Flicker Beat” by Lorde

Best lyric: “But I got my fingers laced together and I made a little prison / and I’m locking up everyone who ever laid a finger on me.”

29. “Hypnotic” by Zella Day

Best lyric: “I don’t wanna come back down / I don’t wanna touch the ground / Pacific Ocean, dug so deep / Hypnotic, taking over me.”

30. “Wonderland” by Taylor Swift 

Best lyric: “We found Wonderland / you and I got lost in it / and we pretended it could last forever.”

31. “The Sweet Escape” by Gwen Stefani

Best lyric: “If I could escape / and recreate a place as my own world / and I could be your favorite girl / forever, perfectly together / tell me, boy, now wouldn’t that be sweet” (bonus: “I know I’ve been a real bad girl / I didn’t mean for you to get hurt”). 

32. “Dollhouse” by Melanie Martinez

Best lyric: “Everyone thinks that we’re perfect / please don’t let them look through the curtains.”

33. “Devil In Me” by Halsey

Best lyric: “I don’t wanna wake it up / the devil in me.”

34. “mad woman” by Taylor Swift 

Best lyric: “No one likes a mad woman / you made her like that / and you’ll poke that bear ’till her claws come out / and you find something to wrap you noose around.”

35. “The Beach” by The Neighbourhood

Best lyric: “Swim with me / I think I could see the beach / just don’t look underneath us / I need you here with me.”

36. “this is me trying” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “I just wanted you to know / that this is me trying / at least I’m trying.”

37. “right where you left me” by Taylor Swift 

Best lyric: “Did you ever hear about the girl who got frozen? / time went on for everybody else, she won’t know it / she’s still twenty-three inside her fantasy / how it was supposed to be / did you everr hear about the girl who lives in delusion?”

38. “Always Forever” by Cults

Best lyric: “You and me always forever / we could stay alone together / you and me always forever / say you’ll never be separate.” 

Stream the playlist in preparation for the Wandavision finale on March 5 (and to emotionally recover from episode 8).  

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.