This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If there’s one thing that has the ability to bring women around the world joy, it’s their Spotify Wrapped. One’s Spotify Wrapped isn’t just a summary of the music they listened to in the given year, but it’s a reflection of said person’s aesthetic, vibe,  goals, and dreams. There’s nothing that brings me more comfort in the winter months than knowing my Spotify Wrapped is coming soon. It’s a reflection of personal growth and acts as a time capsule for the coming years. For example, my 2021 transition from pop music to alternative music signified my coming of age. The music we listen to speaks a lot to who we are, who we have been, and what we’re to become. That being said, it’s nice to have a reminder of everything we have been through, the music that helped us through dark times and the songs we sang at our best. The following is a compilation of Her Campus at Pace’s top artists, songs, genres, and our minutes listened.

Top Artist

This year we collectively listened to artists ranging from Sublime to Doja Cat. However, there was one artist who dominated this category for us and far exceeded any other artists. I would say I’m surprised, but I had a feeling that our top artist in 2023 would be Taylor Swift. She simply has a chokehold on Her Campus at Pace. Given that the Eras Tour was in full force and she has released and re-released a number of albums, she was catapulted into our top artist position, being the top artist for over 50% of the Her Campus at Pace members this year. 

Top Song

Another front runner in Her Campus’ Spotify Wrapped this year was actually boygenius, with our top song being “Not Strong Enough.” This absolutely gut-wrenching piece is definitely a reflection of the darker times we all experienced this year. Another top song from boygenius’s album, the record, being “Emily I’m Sorry.” Based on the gathered top songs of all members in Her Campus at Pace, I’ve concluded that it’s probably been an emotionally turbulent year for us all. Some other popular songs include “the grudge” by Olivia Rodrigo, “Slipping Through My Fingers” by ABBA, and “House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls” by the Weeknd.

Top Genre

In the past few years, I’ve sensed that many have been experiencing musical awakens, reverting back to our beloved 2000s music, and introducing some alternative music to our palettes, but there’s no genre like pop. Pop is a very broad category that encompasses a variety of music so it’s no surprise that it was Her Campus at Pace’s top genre this year, with about 70% of our members having it come in at number one on their Spotify Wrapped. Personally, I’m living for the return of pop, especially with Olivia Rodrigo’s release of GUTS, an attempt to transport all listeners back to the 2000s teenage angst era of music. Overall, it was definitely the year of pop, as the ongoing hunt for the next big popstar like Britney Spears, continues. Is it Sabrina Carpenter, Tate McRae, Olivia Rodrigo, Reneé Rapp, or someone we haven’t even heard of yet?   

Minutes Listened

Her Campus at Pace has spent thousands of minutes listening to music this year. The majority of members listened anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 minutes, but I’d like to praise those that spent anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 and more minutes streaming music this year. Keep the volume high and your spirits higher.

Sierra is a freshmen, Digital Marketing major and a Graphic Design minor at Pace University. She is a first year staff writer for Her Campus at Pace and enjoys writing more humorous pieces about pop culture. In the past, Sierra has written for her high school newsletter known as "The Dawg Print" and taken several journalism classes and she is looking forward to expanding on this background. In addition to Her Campus at Pace, Sierra is also a new member of the American Marketing Association at Pace and the P.A.C.E. Board. She enjoys brainstorming for both these clubs and especially likes that they expose her to people of all backgrounds and stories. Outside of school and work Sierra spends most of her time listening to music, watching romantic comedies, binging sit-coms, shopping for clothes she probably doesn’t need, going to museums, or exploring new places to eat. She likes a variety of different musical artists and will never turn down the opportunity to go to a concert. Sierra frequently watches the movies A Rainy Day in New York and Breakfast at Tiffany’s but is no stranger to shows such as The Office and New Girl. Sierra is also interested in museum hopping however her favorite exhibits remain at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.