This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Harry Styles, singer/songwriter, actor, and occasional comedian loved and adored by all for over a decade. How could we not? With his gorgeous brown curls and piercing green eyes, not to mention the voice of a God and impeccable style – the tour suits, his rings, every Gucci campaign, his Met Gala outfit, photoshoots for Vogue, Rolling StoneBeauty Papers, and so, so many more. I’m sure by now you are picturing a favorite look of his, but before I get ahead of myself and write out a love manifesto, I’ll move forward. In celebration of Harry’s 27th birthday, I compiled a list of recommendations he has made over the years, based off of interviews and social media posts, to highlight some of the things he enjoys. Spoiler: Most of it has to do with love!  

Books

Harry told Rolling Stone that he had not been into reading while growing up, but as an adult he will read any novel recommendation given to him. During the interview he praised Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. The 1987 novel tells a nostalgic story of sexuality and loss from the perspective of a college student in Tokyo during the 1960s.

During an interview with Timothèe Chalamet, Harry again recommended Norwegian Wood, as well as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by the same author. Also based in Tokyo, this story follows a man searching for his wife’s missing cat and his interactions with allies and enemies he meets along the way. 

While on tour for his debut solo album, Hélène Pambrum photographed Harry reading Love is A Mixtape by Rob Sheffield. This autobiographical memoir tells the story of Sheffield meeting Renée Crist, their love, and her sudden passing away.

In the Fine Line sit-down with Zane Lowe, Harry spoke highly of The Course of Love by Alain de Botton. This book follows the life of a young couple in Edinburgh and the work it takes for them to maintain their love. The book pulls on philosophical and psychological insight on how love can survive and become “happily ever after.”

Harry has drawn inspiration from poet Charles Bukowski throughout the course of his career. Back in 2014, Harry quoted the poet on twitter, “The people look like flowers at last.” He drew from the poet’s words while writing his song “Woman-” the line “you flower you feast” is pulled from Bukowski’s Love Is A Dog from Hell, with “like a flower like a feast.” Most recently, Harry spoke of the poet in his interview for Beauty Papers and recited another poem before taking the stage at the Fine Line secret show in London.

Music

While talking with Rolling Stone, Harry shared many of his favorites when it came to music – so many that they compiled a playlist.

In conversations he highlighted his admiration for:

• Van Morrison

• Joni Mitchell

• Etta James

• Wings (and Paul McCartney)

• John Lennon & Yoko Ono

• Carole King

• Crosby, Stills, and Nash

• Paul Simon

• Hall and Oates

• Elvis

• Stevie Nicks

Harry has stated many times that he has been and still is inspired by Stevie Nicks. In 2019, he presented her Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction.

For Harry’s Fine Line sit down with Zane Lowe through apple music, he compiled this playlist.

Films

Harry has confessed that “chick flicks” are his guilty pleasure. Some that he has named include classics Love Actually, Titanic, and The Notebook.

Madison Turunen is a student of the Class of 2023 at Pace University, on the New York City campus. She is double majoring in History and Peace & Justice Studies with minors in Women & Gender Studies and Politics. Someday she hopes to go into human rights advocacy. She is a huge activist and environmentalist, with a lean towards gender equality and peace-building. As a part of Her Campus, she has published articles on lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.
Her Campus Pace Contributor