Getting To Know NYC: The Subways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Something that is essential to being a college student in NYC is…. you guessed it: the subway. Here are 3 tips to help you guide your way through the underground world that is the New York City subway. Now, where do we begin when we talk about the subway?

Metro Card First, I guess we should start with your metro card. Your metro card is a flimsy card that you put money on- it is your ticket to go anywhere via the subway. Okay so once you have some money on your subway card, your opportunities are endless. Exciting, right?

Subway SlangWell the next thing to talk about is some key subway slang. Trains that run local vs. express. A local train stops at every station between two points, and an express skips certain stops. Since we are Pace students, we should maybe discuss the trains that are around- because you’ll probably be using those the most. The most common lines are the A/C/E, 2/3 and the 4/5/6 lines. These lines will take you uptown to popular places like Rockefeller center (where Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and SNL are taped, and also top of the rock observation deck) Central Park, Bryant park, and Times Square (the center of the Broadway world).

EmbarkLastly, the best app ever for subway navigation is Embark! I use embark almost every day. Embark gives you the amount of stops between your destinations, has a map, and also has a walking map available if you need it. It’s one of the best and most helpful apps to guide you around the city. Go download it!

The subway is ultimately the best and the worst. It’s dirty and crowded but also the fastest way to get around the city. You will totally see the weirdest people and things happening beneath the NYC streets (#pizzarat … Am I right?) but you know you walk up those subway stairs back into the streets of Manhattan feeling like nothing can stop you. Happy traveling!!

Hallie is a Junior at Pace University studying Communications with a double minor in Creative Writing and Women's and Gender Studies. She loves coffee and yoga and hates writing in the third person. 
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.