Future Nostalgia: The New Soundtrack For Your Quarantine Dance Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Queen of Pop Dua Lipa has made a triumphant return with her sophomore album Future Nostalgia. We all fell in love with songs like “New Rules” and “IDGAF” from her 2017 self-titled debut, but Lipa has truly one-upped herself (I know- I didn’t think it was possible either!) with a brand new disco-inspired album that’ll make you want to put on your leg warmers and dance. 

Lipa announced that Future Nostalgia’s release date was moved up to March 27 (the previous release being scheduled for April 3) in an Instagram live, saying “I’ve been a little conflicted about whether it’s the right thing to do during this time because a lot of people are suffering. I’m not sure if I’m even doing the right thing, but I think the thing we need the most at the moment is music and we need joy and we need to be trying to see the light.”

The title track, “Future Nostalgia,” is a perfect introduction to what is to follow. Lipa raps and sings to an 80s inspired beat, making way for a sound that is very different from anything else on the radio in the best way (she even raps “you want a timeless song, I want to change the game”). The empowering lyrics- “I know you ain’t used to a female alpha-” lead perfectly into “Don’t Start Now,” a funky breakup song that does the unique job of making you want to get up and dance. Its catchy beat truly reaches a new level and it’s practically made to be a Top 40 hit. “Cool” is a little bit less disco-y than the rest of the album, but a great pop song nonetheless. Then comes another of her best songs; “Physical,” which references Olivia Newton-John’s song of the same name, and its fast-paced perfection that would fit right into the background of an 80s workout video (which Lipa aptly made the music video). “Levitating” (my personal favorite) has plenty of synth bass and a funky vibe as Lipa sings about the beginnings of a new relationship. However, if you thought the synth in “Levitating” was impressive, Lipa turns it up even more in “Pretty Please,” which is fairly mellow and slow-paced compared to its predecessors. “Hallucinate” follows, in all of its house music, electronic, play-this-in-a-club (or in the background of Euphoria) glory. “Love Again” is a more emotional song- but, surprise, still upbeat! It’s about falling in love when you thought you never could again, but isn’t sad or slow at all- it’s hopeful and euphoric (“I can’t believe there’s something left in my chest but, goddamn, you got me in love again”). “Break My Heart” samples a bass line from INXS’s “Need You Tonight.” “Boys Will Be Boys” is about experiences and feelings that women experience daily- walking home with your keys in your knuckles, walking home before it’s dark, and covering your body to avoid harassment- and how men’s inappropriate behavior is often dismissed with the titular saying. “I’m sure if there’s something that I can’t find the words to say I know that there will be a man around to save the day- and that was sarcasm in case you needed it mansplained,” Lipa quips. 

Overall, Future Nostalgia is the dose of glitter, feel-good-energy, and overall bops that the world needs right now. It takes inspiration from different eras, intertwining their sounds and beats into a collage that is a blast from the past while being sleek and modern. Lipa noted in the livestream her hopes for the album, saying “I hope it brings you some happiness and I hope it makes you smile and I hope it makes you dance and I hope it makes you proud-” and it’s safe to say it ticks every box. 

Stream Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia on all platforms now. 

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.