Flannel & Forcible Laughs: A Review of ‘That ‘90s Show’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Hello Wisconsin! Lovers of That ‘70s Show should be ecstatic to hear that the reboot, That ‘90s Show, is now available to stream on Netflix. Beloved characters Eric Forman (Topher Grace), Donna Pinciotti  (Laura Prepon), Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis), Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher), Fez (Wilmer Valderrama), Red Forman (Kurtwood Smith), and Kitty Forman (Debra Jo Rupp) return to Point Place, Wisconsin, 15 years after That ‘70s Show ended. That ‘90s Show is a heartwarming yet undoubtedly cringe-worthy situational comedy series.

To briefly summarize, That ‘90s Show is about Leia (Callie Haverda), who is the teenage daughter of Eric and Donna. Leia is a considerably straight-edge teenager for her age. In the summer of 1995, Leia stays with her grandparents, Kitty and Red Forman. During her stay, Leia’s goodie-two-shoes persona quickly changes when she befriends a group of cool local teenagers. From sneaking out to go to a rave to smoking weed in the Forman’s basement, Leia and the gang have an adventurous summer of a lifetime. 

Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith have the same fun and electric chemistry as they did back in 1998 when That ‘70s Show first aired. And aside from Kitty’s contagious bubbliness and Red’s brute crankiness, the other characters in the show are lackluster. Callie Haverda’s acting is subpar and at times cringey to watch. To be brutally honest, the awkwardness of Leia’s character mixed with Haverda’s over-enthusiasm and giddiness was beyond irritating. Ozzie (Reyn Doi) was the first LGBT character to appear on the show. Ozzie’s character brings sass and lightheartedness to the screen. Jay (Mace Coronel) is the son of Jackie and Michael Kelso. Coronel’s swoon-worthy acting and effortless charm outshines the rest of the teenage cast. 

As far as television reboots go, That ‘90s Show isn’t the worst television reboot that has ever been filmed, but it certainly isn’t deserving of any Emmy nominations. That ‘90s Show is a wholesome coming-of-age depiction of the free-spiritedness that came with being a teenager in the nineties. That ‘70s Show fans will enjoy this show for the original cast cameos, but definitely not for the humor. If you are looking for a show that makes you pee in your pants from laughing, I don’t recommend watching That ‘90s Show. Almost all of the jokes featured in the show are over-the-top cheesy. However, there are occasional wholesome and humorous moments embedded in the ten episodes that make the show worth watching. 

In conclusion, If you are a fan of That ‘70s Show and are curious to see what the gang has been up to in the past fifteen years, you should watch That ‘90s Show. Despite the mediocrity of the humor and acting, That ‘90s Show is a loveable reminder of simpler times. The featured themes of fitting in, friendship, and family togetherness are all relevant today. That ‘90s Show is just one example of how the ‘90s are making a comeback. So, grab your favorite flannel, put down your phone, gather with friends and family, and enjoy this totally tubular television reboot.

her campus at pace university writer, coffee addict, probably listening to lana del ray