The Empowering Women of Once Upon a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

These days, it’s hard to find a fairytale where the princess isn’t saved by the prince. Between classic Disney princess movies and modern romantic comedies, it seems that fictional females are always waiting for their “prince charming” to come and save the day, but how can young women relate to these characters? What standards is modern entertainment instilling in women? Are we to believe that in times of peril, we can only be saved by a man? And that our happiness and normality relies on our ability to find a mate? This fairytale logic is not only unrealistic, but a negative line of thinking, and not just for women, but men as well. Media shouldn’t be teaching women and/or men that females are unable to fend for themselves, and weak when faced with challenging situations. Being a film major and a feminist, I strive to create and find modern entertainment that challenges gender stereotypes. To my surprise, I stumbled upon a fairytale-based show that reinvents the classics with female saviors and a strong female narrative. ABC’s hit television show, Once Upon a Time, brings to life powerful women; some good, and some evil, but all driven to get what they want.

Warning: Spoiler Alert!

1) Regina Mills (The Not-So-Evil Queen)

My personal favorite, Regina, uses her magical powers to build the life she thinks she wants. The series begins with her as the main antagonist, but later on, she realizes that her spiteful actions are no match for the power of good. She never gives up on finding her happiness and is always ready with a clever comeback. 2) Cora Mills (Enchantress and The Queen of Hearts)

The Queen of Hearts or the Queen of Confidence? This woman sure is determined to have the life she feels she deserves. Born to a miller, she’ll do anything to rise in social class, even if it means giving up a baby and killing her daughter’s soul mate. In the end, she gets everything she wants. Yes, she’s evil, but you’ve got to admire her persistence!​3) Emma Swan (The Savior)

Emma is independent and has never relied on a man, or anyone, for support. Growing up in the foster care system taught how to take care of herself. Emma consistently displays a tough exterior during times of peace and war. When it comes to saving those she cares about, her strength is infinite.​4) Mary Margaret Blanchard (Snow White)

As Regina puts it, Mary Margaret works for the hope foundation. No matter what challenges come her way, she uses her positive thinking to pave a way to victory. In addition to her endless supply of hope, Mary Margaret represents a much different version of Snow White than what we’re used to in the classic Disney animation. This princess saves herself, and even her prince on numerous occasions! After awakening her from a sleeping curse with a kiss, Mary Margaret later repays the favor to her beloved prince.​5) Ingrid (The Snow Queen)

Though she’s a villain, Ingrid is a true believer in the power of women. Her life revolves around the sisterhood between girls. She allows her emotions and intelligence to guide her in the pursuit of getting what she wants. Ingrid is never afraid to express her feelings so that those around her understand her as much as she understands herself.​This is just a taste of the inspiring women in Once Upon a Time. Check it out if you’re in the mood to embrace your femininity! 

Hi, I'm Amanda! I'm from Long Island, New York. Writing is my greatest passion. I plan on turning my love for the written word into a career within the film industry.