Dua Lipa and Miley Cyrus Join Forces To Say F-You To Abusive Exes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Two of the coolest women in pop music have finally teamed up.

Miley Cyrus released the latest single from her upcoming album Plastic Hearts, and it features none other than Dua Lipa. The track, “Prisoner,” was released on November 22, along with an accompanying music video

The song itself combines the very best of the two songstresses; Lipa’s disco-pop sound (hello, Future Nostalgia) and Cyrus’s rock/punk twist. The overarching bassline and clap beat is reminiscent of 80s hits, but the vocals (and occasional guitar riffs) are gritty and reminiscent of classic rock singers (like Joan Jett, who Miley channels via her iconic haircut in the video). Neither artist outshines the other and the final product is unique and meshes well, which is rare with collaborations. 

“For her and I, there’s just no competition. That changes just everything. There’s a true partnership. Then I also liked that it wasn’t the first song we’d cut together. We actually cut other songs. She wanted to keep going until it was right, until we found the one that honors our individuality,” Cyrus told Elle Magazine, “There was none of the machine in it.. We’ve recorded other songs together. We just waited until we felt like, ‘Now this is a Dua-Miley song. You can just, everything about it reflects us.’

The video (like the song) is a glamorous, rock-inspired, wide ride, following Lipa and Cyrus as rock stars on tour, with plenty of leather, glitter, and fishnets. It opens on a close up of each of their lips- reminiscent of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We see the singers drive a bus through the NYC streets, partying and pouring Maraschino cherry juice- which, looking strikingly similar to blood, adds to the grunge appeal- all over each other along the way. They each wear chunky jewelry and heavy eye makeup, but my personal favorite look of the video was Lipa’s vintage Gucci cutout dress

“Prisoner” is about being trapped in an abusive/controlling relationship- but they did have a message included at the end credits; “In loving memory of all my exes: eat shit,” along with a clip saying “I’m a free woman now and my life is just ready to begin.”

Catch Dua Lipa and Miley Cyrus perform together in Lipa’s Studio 2054 online concert here

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.