A Dozen Roses and a Dozen Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, love is in the air and everything just feels a bit easier. And although Valentine’s Day can’t be spent the way it usually is with date nights out, this movie list will ensure that families, couples, and hopeless romantics can make the most out of the holiday by staying in and staying safe. 

The Photograph 

When Mae’s mother passes away and leaves her with so many unanswered questions about who she was. Mae discovers a singular photograph that leads her to becoming infatuated by her mother’s early life. While visiting the same places and talking to the same people who really knew her, a similar romance that  Mae’s mother had comes to fruition in her own life with an up and coming journalist.

Endless Love 

Whether you fancy the 1981 film or the 2014 version, this modern twist on a romance bearing a resemblance to Romeo and Juliet will absolutely leave you heartbroken all the while making you believe love at first sight truly exists.

Always Be My Maybe 

A Netflix original film, starring comedian Ali Wong. When childhood friends/almost lovers have a falling out, they are able to reconnect after years in very different and distinctive worlds, old feelings begin to renew as the same fights prevent them from trying again.

Valentine’s Day  

A star studded movie and a must for every Valentine’s Day. A series of interconnected stories unravel during the course of the holiday, the highs and lows of each person’s own experience on Valentine’s Day shows how love can be shown in various ways.

Isn’t it Romantic

Natalie, played by Rebel Wilson, has always been negative towards love in movies and in her personal life, but when she gets knocked unconscious she wakes up to find that she’s now the love interest in her own real-life romantic comedy.

She’s All That

Zach Siler, the most popular guy in school loses his status when his cheerleader girlfriend dumps him to date reality TV star Brock Hudson. Siler, wanting to regain his status, makes a bet that he can get the outcast, Laney Boggs, to become the next prom queen, but when he actually gets to know her, his popularity and the bet begin to lose meaning.

Sleepless In Seattle

A classic starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, when Jonah calls into a radio station looking to find a new wife for his father, many women become attracted to his father,  Sam Bladwin, through his story. And one woman, Annie Reed, claims she’s fallen in love with him without really even knowing him and so she writes him a letter asking him to meet her at the Empire State Building on Valentine’s Day.

Pretty Woman 

When businessman Edward picks up Vivian, a prostitute, and pays her to stay with him for the weekend, they get closer and begin to form a mutual understanding while they struggle with preconceived notions about the nature of their relationship.

13 Going on 30

When a young girl is stuck trying to conform to junior high norms and faces a lot of boy trouble she wishes she could just be a grown up already. But when her wish comes true, she has to get used to adulthood overnight and she soon realizes the issues she had in her teen years don’t  just go away in adulthood. 

Crazy Rich Asians 

When Rachel Chu starts dating Nick Young, unaware that his family is extremely wealthy and well-known in Singapore. They both have to battle to prove their love to Nick’s disapproving mother and family friends, who believe Rachel doesn’t have strong enough  ties to her culture and isn’t good enough for the eligible bachelor. 

The Other Woman 

When a married man, Mark King begins cheating on his wife with not one but two other women, the women quickly realize that they are being played by the same man and team up to get revenge.

Love, Rosie

Best friends Rosie and Alex are seemingly in love with each other but timing always has other plans for them. When Alex moves to the states for college and Rosie stays behind, it seems that distance will always strain their relationship. Will they ever admit their feelings for each other?

Ashley Geiser is the Editor-In-Chief/Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Pace. She oversees all the writers on the team, manages the overall responsibilities and duties of the editors, and publishes the final copy of all articles on the website. She likes to work one-on-one with the writers, helping them gain confidence in their work and hosting monthly editorial workshops to get everyone familiar with Her Campus guidelines and AP style. Beyond her work with Her Campus at Pace, she works as a tutor at the Writing Center for Pace University and serves as an editor for the University’s student magazine, 'Aphros.' Some of her poetry has appeared in Pace University’s 'Chroma' magazine and placed in the English Department Writing Awards. She is currently a senior studying for her bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing, as well as working towards her master’s degree in Publishing at Pace University. Outside of her academic responsibilities, Ashley usually spends her time reading and writing all forms of poetry. She loves any type of romantic comedy movies, among her favorites are 'Made of Honor' and 'The Wedding Date.' She also enjoys baking; her favorite recipe is a chocolate chip mint cookie of her own design.