Cat Therapy at the Cat Cafe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After surviving the tension stricken weeks of midterms, my friend Anna and I needed a break. As college students, we are stressed out daily by the piles of homework and extensive schedules. A day dedicated to ourselves was long overdue. Then we heard about the amazing “The Brooklyn Cat Cafe;” perfect for two feline mommies that missed their babies that they had to leave back home in Illinois. All we had to do was make an appointment on their website and we were set. The best part was that there were adult and children times. This way, we wouldn’t have to witness children running around while we hold cats and enjoy ourselves.

When arriving in the afternoon, Anna and I did not know what to expect. This was our first time in this type of establishment and we were a little hesitant. It wasn’t until we walked in and saw cute kittens running around that we just melted. The Japanese were geniuses to have come up with this fantastic concept because the moment a little kitten sat on my lap I could feel all of the tension leave my body. Purr therapy took Anna and me to heaven forcing us to stay for an additional half an hour past our original, planned hour. At that moment, I knew that this was the best money I had spent since moving to NYC. Each cat was so enthusiastic to interact with the people that they were literally jumping to get your attention. It also helped to have treats in your hand that they make them go crazy. That’s right, for just 25 cents you could get a handful of treats that buys every cat’s love.

The longer you stay, the better you feel because of the release of the hormone oxytocin from your body. Oxytocin is the hormone that your body produces when you socialize, reproduce, and give birth; basically, it’s like a happy endorphin. According to the head of the Research Center for Human/Animal Interaction at the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine, nurse Rebecca Johnson claims, “Oxytocin has some powerful effects for us in the body’s ability to be in a state of readiness to heal, and also to grow new cells, so it predisposes us to an environment in our own bodies where we can be healthier.” After personally experiencing this myself, I couldn’t agree more. Not only was the cat cafe therapeutic for my soul but for my sanity as well. I assume this concept works with dog lovers which is why I suggest everyone visits an animal-themed cafe of his or her choice at least once. I can’t wait to go back again! You never know, you might enjoy it so much that you never want to leave.

Hello, I'm a proud book dragon majoring in English language and Literature while minoring in marketing. And as an Aquarius, you can see my ecocentrism and passion in everything I write. <3
Her Campus Pace Contributor