This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As Halloween approaches, people have a certain question on their minds; “What will I be this year for Halloween?” It’s a question that becomes increasingly difficult to answer each year as the possibilities are endless and Halloween is the one time in the year people could actually fully let their inner freak out and not be judged by society. This is why I would like to talk about a certain iconic Halloween family- and, no, I’m not talking about the Spellmans (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina/Sabrina the Teenage Witch) or the Cromwells (Halloweentown)- I’m talking about the O.G weirdos of film and television; the one and only cult classic Addams family.

The Addams family is my dream family, and here’s why; unlike most shows that originated in the 60s (not including the Munsters) the Addams family made a name for themselves by utilizing the horror genre to create a unified and loving family that doesn’t care about the outside world as long as they’re happy, being an embodiment of the idea “embrace your flaws.” Each character was uniquely odd but charming at the same time, attracting people toward the family.

Their strange behaviors and confidence in themselves around close-minded people being an inspiration to outcasts everywhere (like myself) to be unapologetic for who we are and that, even if our own family wouldn’t accept us, the Addams would in a heartbeat. Each character also teaches viewers valuable lessons in their own eccentric and fun way. 

Here some of my favorite quotes from either the movies or the show that stay with and inspire me;

• “Black is such a happy color.” – The Addams Family series (1964)
  • “I’m just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It’s just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade.” – Addams Family Values (1993)
  • “We Gladly Feast On Those Who Would Subdue Us” – The Addams Family (2019)
  • “Somebody down there likes me!” – The Addams Family series (1964)
Hello, I'm a proud book dragon majoring in English language and Literature while minoring in marketing. And as an Aquarius, you can see my ecocentrism and passion in everything I write. <3
Her Campus Pace Contributor