IMG 3595?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 3595?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo Courtesy of Samantha Barth
Style > Beauty

Brown Girl Friendly Lip Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Do you guys remember the Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Lipstick fiasco on TikTok last year? I’m sure it’s a beautiful product, but definitely for those with fairer skin tones. As someone who steered clear of any pigmented lip product, I’ve realized that it was really just me choosing the ones meant for my white girlfriends. So, I would like to share my top 3 lip products, brown girl certified!

Glossier Ultralip in “Cachet”

I love this lipstick! Coming from an exclusive lipgloss/lip oil girl, the texture is so hydrating! I have super dry skin, and Ultralip definitely avoids settling into your lips and making them look cracked, something I tend to get with a lot of lipsticks. It’s described on the Glossier website as a walnut brown, and the color is buildable, which is really great if you are looking for something versatile. The best part is: it’s super glossy! So I never need to layer lipgloss to get that shine I’m looking for.

MERIT Shade Slick Tinted Lip Oil in “Sangria”

This is the newest addition to my makeup collection. MERIT is one of the few brands that carry brown girl-friendly lip oils, and I haven’t stopped wearing it since my sister bought it for me last month. I was never a fan of specifically red shades, but this product completely changed my mind. It’s a deep berry-wine color and it works perfectly for the winter.

CLINIQUE Almost Lipstick in “Black Honey”

My holy grail. I bought my first one back in 2021 when it went viral, and it’s been a staple for me ever since. “Black Honey” works on every skin tone; it’s a sheer-mauve color that blends with your natural lip color, so it looks a little different on everyone. It was released in the ‘70s but was also super popular in the ‘90s, and my mom used to wear it all the time. Now it’s the first thing I reach for in my makeup bag.

Adeesa is a junior at Pace University and Her Campus Pace's instagram assistant as well as a chapter contributor :) She posts on our chapter's Instagram page detailing information about our weekly meetings, promoting our club events, the publication of articles, and engaging content for our club members and followers. As for article writing, her pieces tend to be more news oriented (she's a poli sci major!). Adeesa enjoys spreading political awareness amongst her peers, and taking political issues that seem big and complex and making them easy to understand. Adeesa has been the Instagram assistant at HCP for two years, and previously was the Facebook assistant. In addition to Her Campus, Adeesa is a graphic designer for The Pace Press, Pace University's newspaper. She has been doing social media for three years now, since she was a junior in high school and promoting her Model UN team conferences. In her free time, Adeesa loves listening to music, watching rom-coms, and exploring New York. You can find her scrolling through TikTok, making (yet another) playlist, or at the nearest poke restaurant. If you need a poster designed or a friend to chat, Adeesa is your girl!