This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve been counting down the days until the highly anticipated Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Anticipation truly rose to high levels after the first teaser for the film was released as the post-credit scene for 2021’s biggest film, Spider-Man: No Way Home. As Marvel’s first true horror film, the first two trailers for this film have been nothing but horrifying, to say the least. With Benedict Cumberbatch reprising his role as Doctor Strange, Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff (AKA The Scarlet Witch), and Xochitl Gomez coming in as the highly anticipated American Chavez, this film is going to be one for the Marvel history books.

Multiverse began trending once more after an official trailer was released during the 2022 Super Bowl on February 13. It dropped as I was on my way to Disney’s Magic Kingdom and had to pull my car over to watch it. Many of the scenes revealed through this newest trailer has Wanda and Strange fans alike absolutely scared for what this film is going to bring to the table. Since plot lines for this film have been kept under tight wraps, Marvel fans are still trying to theorize as to what this film will truly entail. 

One scene in the most recent trailer that has a lot of people talking is where Wanda, the infamous Scarlet Witch, is covered in blood in what looks like to be her house in Westview from the critically-acclaimed Disney+ series, WandaVision. There are plenty of theories that have risen due to this particular scene. One of the most prominent ones is how this scene will be used to introduce Zombie Wanda from the Disney+ animated series, What If?. Because of the multiverse completely opening, it gives Marvel tons of room to introduce plenty of characters from current and past projects, like What If?

There has also been plenty of buzz surrounding the small reveal of Professor X, most infamously known from the X-Men films. This revealed just how far Marvel is willing to go with the multiverse and who they are going to introduce into the MCU. Theories ranging from What If? variants (i.e. Sorcerer Supreme Strange, Zombie Avengers, etc.), a new Iron Man variant, the X-Men, and Deadpool, have got all Marvel fans talking about who is going to show up and why. 

This film has also had many conversations surrounding what knowledge needs to be known before going into the theater. This will be the first MCU film that requires the watch history of a Marvel show, considering that Wanda’s actions in Westview are relevant to the story and overarching plot of Multiverse of Madness. It’s an obvious point that there should be a watch history of Doctor Strange and Spider-Man: No Way Home, as these films directly lead into this new entry. However, there is debate on whether or not viewers will have had to watch the X-Men films and What If?, considering that these are only theories at the moment. In my opinion, I feel as though we should be consuming as much Marvel content as possible before the release of Multiverse of Madness because of the fact that we don’t know who is going to show up. There are rumors that there will be more hero cameos than Avengers: Endgame, which had over 36 hero appearances. Overall, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is going to be one of the biggest Marvel films to date, especially after the massive success and praise that Spider-Man: No Way Home received. While we’ve only received two trailers so far, the days are moving quickly and my countdown is going fast. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will be hitting theaters on May 6, 2022.

she/they marvel and taylor swift stan with a love for fashion, films, and fanfiction