Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Beyoncé’s New Album is Breaking the Internet & It’s Not Even Out Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The 2024 Super Bowl was full of excitement. Oh, you think I mean the game? H*ll no! That game was as slow as watching paint dry. I was referring to the excitement of celebrity sightings, an entertaining halftime performance from Usher, and, above all, an album announcement from Beyoncé. 

Beyoncé unveiled this new project in a way that I’ve never seen before: a Verizon commercial. After Usher’s halftime performance, there was an unusual outro from Verizon that read: “Thought that halftime show broke the internet? Just wait til you see what’s next.” That cryptic message had everyone on the edge of their seats, so much so, that I bet not a single person was watching the game, because we were all too busy on X (formerly Twitter) trying to predict what the next commercial break could bring. No one could have predicted what was coming. 

A 90-second Verizon commercial starring Beyoncé, ending with her stating, “Okay, they ready. Drop the new music.” Chaos ensued throughout the entire digital world, everyone raving about the announcement and the release of two new songs: “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” and “16 CARRIAGES.” The songs were exclusively on the streaming platform Tidal for the first 30 minutes following the announcement. An Instagram post from Beyoncé’s official account followed the commercial, stating that her newest album, act ii is set for release March 29. This album will be Beyoncé’s ninth solo album and the second installment of the three-act Renaissance album family. 

“TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” was the first of the two songs to be released, and it is a vibey country bop that had everyone quickly realizing that the Beyoncé, a Houston native, was releasing a country album. The song has made huge waves online over the past week, sparking TikTok dance trends and country music-inspired outfits for a potential act ii tour this summer. 

“16 CARRIAGES,” the second song to be released following the album announcement, is a more passionate, powerful song from Beyoncé. This ballad takes us through Beyoncé’s experience growing up in the spotlight and the things she had to overcome at such a young age. Many people online have speculated that the “16 CARRIAGES” she is singing about signify her life on the road, touring and performing all over the world starting at just 16 years old, with Destiny’s Child. 

Both of these songs feel so much more intimate and personal than what we’ve heard from Beyoncé in the past, which isn’t shocking at all, considering the genre switch. Country music is all about getting into the raw emotions of songwriting and talking about life in a very unfiltered way. Beyoncé’s lyricism has always been a force to be reckoned with, and, from a glimpse into this album, we can already tell her songwriting is at an all-time high. 

While many fans were shocked by a Beyoncé country album, there has been a lot of speculation as to why this and why now. Renaissance is so much more than just an album or a collection. It’s a huge move for her career to be incorporating genres that the music industry has excluded her from. 

As a lifelong Beyoncé fan, I can’t wait to hear this album. Her country album, while certainly a surprise, has been a long time coming, and I, along with the entire BeyHive, am so excited for the ride (pun intended).

Casey McLaughlin is a chapter member of Her Campus at Pace. She is a Junior, and this is her first year as a contributing member. She covers areas such as music, sports, pop culture, personal experiences, and concert reviews. Casey is majoring in Communications and Media Studies, and has a minor in Digital Media Studies. Her goal is to either work in Social Media or Public Relations, and she would love to work at a record label. Her real dream job though, is to direct a commercial for the superbowl. Along with being in school, Casey has worked as a barista for the past two years. She also walks dogs all around Manhattan. In her free time, Casey enjoys reading, watching Philadelphia sports, and going to concerts. Her favorite thing is live music, and has been to many concerts, such as Taylor Swift, Valley, and Pierce the Veil. Casey’s favorite band is The Band Camino, and she has seen them 9 times. When school is not in session, Casey goes home to suburban Philadelphia, where she likes to go to Phillies baseball games, where she boo’s the other teams. She also likes to hang out with her puppy, Sammy.