‘Another Man’s Jeans’ Marks a New Era for Ashe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

On Friday, March 3rd, California-based singer Ashe (who you might recognize from her other hits “Moral of the Story” and “Till Forever Falls Apart”) released her new single “Another Man’s Jeans,” which she has been teasing on her social media since early January. 

There is this addictive nature to the song that makes me want to listen to it on repeat (at the time I’m writing this, the song has been out for about three days and I’ve played it over 50 times). Through listening to the song, I have found that the upbeat nature has made me feel more confident (especially when walking around the city), which is exactly what Ashe wanted the outcome of the song to be. On the eve of the song’s release, she had posted on Instagram regarding what the song’s core was about:

“I hope this song normalizes confidence, normalizes choice, and normalizes sexual freedom. We have been told what to do with their bodies for all of the time and when we don’t behave according to those guidelines were labeled all sorts of insulting and degrading things… screw  that – I hope you own your power and own your choice.”

The beauty of this song shines through in its music video (which had to be reshot in Mexico after all of the footage was lost). It begins with a fiery red aesthetic, then flawlessly transitions into the video’s 70’s inspired beachy aesthetic. 

For me, the addictiveness of the song stems from the bridge. Instead of singing through the bridge, Ashe chose to speak on the matter, which starts off with her saying,  “Alright, here’s what I’m not saying; ‘let’s get back together.’” By speaking this line instead of singing it, Ashe is channeling what she said the song was about in that Instagram post I mentioned earlier: normalizing sexual freedom.

I couldn’t think of a better way to start off Women’s History Month than this song, and I can’t wait to see what Ashe does with her new era.

Hi everyone, my name is Madison and I am currently a junior at Pace studying arts and entertainment management! Feel free to reach out to me on my socials :)