This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Name: Ali Phelan

Year: Sophomore (’18)

Major(s): Economics

Minor(s): Peace and Justice Studies and Global Non-Profit Studies

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?: “funny, happy, and motivated”

Tell me about your trip to Africa!: “I spent one month of my winter break in Muizenberg, South Africa volunteering in a very poverty-stricken township. I was working in the primary schools and day care centers, performing basic childcare activities, as well as teaching the children a few school subjects and basic life skills.”

What did you and other volunteers do while you weren’t working?: “We planned something almost everyday – a few of my favorite things I did on my down time was a four-day safari, bungee jumping, and hiking 3 different mountains – one which is a new natural wonder of the world.”

What would you say to someone considering volunteering abroad?: “Go alone (not with friends) because it gives you the opportunity to step outside your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to open up to new friends; you’ll create great relationships with some people. Give all the attention and love you possibly can to the children and people you work with. And, use very limited technology while you’re there – take in all the beauty of this new country you’re in.”

How has your trip helped to shape your passion?: “ I have a passion for economic development in emerging nations. This trip helped me consider the option of working for Peace Corps in the future. I definitely have an interest in poverty stricken communities and I plan to base my senior thesis on this topic. Once I started my internship at the Hunger Project, I was able to apply what I saw in Africa to the real life data I was working with in the office.”

How do you plan to spend your summer once finals are over?: “The weekend after finals my roommates and I are taking a girls trip to St. Maarten for a week. Then, I’ll go home to play with my dog, Duke, and spend some time with my family before heading back to my apartment here where I’ll be working part-time and exploring the city some more!”

Junior at Pace University Major: Economics Minors: Marketing and Statistics Interests: baking cookies, binge-watching Grey's, petting dogs, and window shopping my way through Manhattan.
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.