A Virtual Dermatologist: Reviewing Cortina Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If you’re a skincare junkie and active on social media like me, the “Dermdoctor” has probably popped up on your TikTok For You Page. Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Muneeb Shah is an expert in all things skin; he gives tips on using retinol, boosting your moisturizer, taking care of eczema, etc. When I saw Dr. Shah was a medical content advisor for Cortina Skin, I was excited to try the custom skincare brand. Being a college student, finding time to see a dermatologist can be tricky, so having a virtual one at your fingertips is ideal.

How Cortina works: According to their website, all of the dermatologists Cortina works with have eight or more years of medical education. The first step is to fill out a free questionnaire to get your diagnosis. The questions were straightforward and only took me a few minutes to complete. I was asked how my skin reacts in the sun and if I had any blemishes. I also uploaded two photos of my face. After a board-certified dermatologist looked over the questionnaire, they asked some follow-up questions regarding my skin and the dermatologist came back with a customized formula tailored to my skin’s needs. After that, when you get a customized formula for your skin you are able to go ahead and complete the purchase; I was sent the product for free to review it. What is so great about this process is that the dermatologist doesn’t just go away after they send the product; they are available 24/7 if you have questions or want to follow-up. 

A little about my skin: I used to struggle with acne and went through a round of Accutane. My skincare goals are to prevent breakouts and hyperpigmentation. The dermatologist prescribed me a blend of Niacinamide, Clindamycin, and Retinol. I have used all three of these ingredients individually but never as a combination, so I was nervous about how my skin would tolerate it. I started slowly using it once a week for the first two weeks. After that, I boosted it up to twice a week and had no issues! After a solid month of using the serum, I have noticed that my skin texture is more smooth, my complexion is more even, and it didn’t cause any acne breakouts or irritation. 

It can get confusing with all these individual serums, scrubs, and creams, so having one product act as the primary form of exfoliation simplifies my routine. It’s a great exfoliating product and might be all you need for the week. I learned it’s better to be patient with your skin than to over-exfoliate and end up with redness and irritation. It’s still recommended to see a dermatologist in person regarding specific skin conditions and health issues, but overall for quick, easy, and effective access, you can’t beat the convenience of a virtual dermatologist and a custom serum at your fingertips. Even though everybody’s skin is different, Cortina might make getting clear skin that much easier. 

Olivia is a student at Pace University in NYC pursuing a Communications and Media Studies degree. She loves writing about all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle related!