A Southern Girl Discusses Her Favorite Thanksgiving Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As you might know, many aspects of southern culture are entirely different from the northern values that we know of. For example, the people, the clothing, and the culture, in general, differ. One of the most prominent differences between the two regions is the food. 

Thanksgiving is a holiday where, in the south, families come together, not to talk about everything they’re thankful for, but to show off all of the dishes that were made from scratch or bought fresh the night before. Don’t get me wrong, on Thanksgiving Day, we talk about what we’re thankful for, but we also do that every week (usually in the longest church services imaginable).

In the north, it seems as though the only significant part about celebrating Thanksgiving is standing outside in below-40-degree weather, watching some floats pass you in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, or just staying home and watching it on TV. I’m not saying families in the North don’t go all out for the Thanksgiving season, but it’s almost definite that the food in Alabama on November 24th, this year, will be stellar.

The average Thanksgiving Dinner includes a whole ham, sweet potato casserole, baked green bean casserole, roasted potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mac’n’cheese,  sweet Hawaiian rolls, and the option of pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, or apple pie. Now, this may sound like a lot of food, but I can assure you that every dish, platter, and Tupperware container will be licked clean by the end of the day, and if not, you can be sure that Thanksgiving dinner will be your breakfast and lunch the next day.

Let’s talk about the gloriousness that is each dish. Starting with the admirable ham, you might think, “Tammy, what happened to the Thanksgiving Turkey?” Of course, you can still have the turkey. But, it’s a tradition for most to travel to the Honey Baked Ham store and wait in line to get that perfectly glazed holiday ham. My preference is the Honey Baked Turkey Breast, but the ham is considered the most iconic and traditional. The crystalized honey glaze mixed with the ham (or turkey) might be one of the most majestic-tasting foods.

Now that we’ve discussed the main course dish of ham (or turkey), next up are the side dishes. First is the sweet potato casserole. The mashed and candied sweet potato with its savory graham cracker or pecan-coated crust is a Holiday staple made with or without nuts. Baked green bean casserole is usually cooked in the oven on medium heat as a cluster of thinly sliced french green beans, apples, bacon, black pepper, and a pinch of salt, and then gets coated with a drizzle of maple syrup (trust the process). Although apples, bacon, greens, and syrup may not sound like the best combination, give it a try first, and then let me know what you think. The roasted potatoes are the same generic recipe that most people use to cook their potatoes, with quartered or halved small red or white potatoes, salt and pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and just a little bit of balsamic vinegar (oh, and also some chopped bacon). The sweet Hawaiian rolls, mac’n’cheese, and cranberry sauce can all be bought at your local store, but one of the most important dishes is the stuffing. Stuffing is always the best when handmade with hand-cut bread squares. A crumbly stuffing will not make my mouth water, but a lightly sweetened, soft, cubed bread crumb will have siblings and cousins fighting to the death over who gets seconds or thirds.

Finally, we’ve reached the desserts. Everybody knows pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, and apple pie, but there’s always a favorite each year. Others, the sweet potato, but for me, a Thanksgiving pumpkin pie never disappoints. A pumpkin pie gives major fall vibes, and the spicy (yet sweet) pie pairs perfectly with Thanksgiving dinner dishes.
The United States culture has created a generic Thanksgiving meal that many adhere to. Still, in the words of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, “there’s no place like home,” and the South most definitely wins an award for my favorite holiday meals.

Tamara (Tammy) Frieson is a sophomore chapter member at the Her Campus at Pace chapter at Pace University. She is an English Language and Literature major with a concentration in Literature, Culture, and Media, and she also has a double minor in Critical Race and Ethnicity Studies and Journalism and Digital Storytelling. Her writing focuses on fashion, art, beauty, and culture. Beyond Her Campus, Tamara works as a staff writer for the university’s newspaper, The Pace Press, where she writes many student engagement articles covering topics ranging from on-campus events to city-wide art exhibitions. Outside of journalism, she also writes poetry and is the Founder and CEO of her clothing company, Business Ascension Apparel. In her free time, Tammy enjoys taking dance and yoga classes; you will find her reading, journaling, or painting. She’s a skincare enthusiast and chronic bibliophile who loves implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion.