glee valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
glee valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
FOX

A ‘Glee’ Docuseries Is in the Works and Here Are My Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Fans of the hit television show, Glee,  have been wanting a tell-all from the cast about what exactly went on behind the scenes of the FOX musical comedy. Recently we’ve been led to believe there may be one on the way.  On Oct. 12, 2022, it was announced that there is a documentary series in the works for Discovery+ that according to an article for Deadline, “will have access to key cast and crew members, who will share first-hand stories of their time on the comedy-drama series that ran for over 100 episodes.” The article also mentioned that the series will focus on the highs and lows of the production and include statements of close family and friends of the cast who will share never-heard-before stories. This docuseries could be the best but also the worst thing that could happen to me. 

I started watching Glee freshman year of high school after it was already off the air and it instantly became one of my comfort shows. Glee was a global phenomenon during its time, starring actors like Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, and Matthew Morrison. It aired from 2009-2015, went on two tours, and won many awards. Although like the article mentioned, there were highs and lows of the show. Fans already know some of the drama that happened behind the scenes such as Michele’s bullying accusations. If fans already know about this and the racism allegations against her, I’m interested in what else might come out about her in the docuseries. While on the topic of the problematic people who worked on the show, I’m also interested to see what possible dirt could come out about co-creator Ryan Murphy. I know that the cast and crew have been holding that in for years. Putting the drama aside, I’m looking forward to what this series showcases and being able to reminisce on one of my favorite shows.

There is something that I’m nervous for them to touch on, and that is the deaths of Cory Monteith and Naya Rivera. While the show already addressed the death of Monteith as he passed away while the show was still on air in 2013, Rivera passed away in 2020 during a boating trip with her son, years after the show ended. I honestly wish they would not mention either of the deaths and focus on more behind the scenes aspects. Though as both of them play pivotal characters on the show, with Monteith playing Finn Hudson and Rivera playing Santana Lopez, it’s hard to believe that they won’t be mentioned. I just hope that if they discuss it, it is done properly, paying respect to the late actors and their friends and family. 

Even though I have wanted something like this docuseries to happen for Glee, I don’t think anything could prepare me for it actually happening. Despite the nervousness I have about some of the events that will be discussed, I am genuinely excited to see what this will all be about and which cast members will make a comeback for this docuseries.

Kelly Danko is a member of Her Campus at Pace. She has been a member of Her Campus at Pace since her freshman year and contributes by writing articles for her Her Campus chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Kelly works as a Team Leader for Jumpstart, a program that’s mission is to prepare preschool children for Kindergarten. With Jumpstart, Kelly manages a team of other Corps Members and gets them prepared for their weekly sessions in the preschool. She is currently a junior at Pace University's New York City campus, majoring in Early Childhood and Childhood Education with a concentration in English. She strives to be a preschool teacher when she graduates and hopes to pursue her master’s degree in Special Education. In her free time, Kelly enjoys listening to music, reading, and going to concerts. She has attended 46 concerts throughout her life and 20 of those concerts were Harry Styles concerts! She also loves Taylor Swift, the two of them being her favorite artists. When school is not in session, you can find her at her second home: her grandparent’s summer place down at the Jersey Shore where she likes to hang out with friends and go to the beach.