Style Hero Images 3
Style Hero Images 3
Interscope / Geffen / Warner / Big Hit / Republic / Capitol / Zelig Records / Fader

A Definitive Ranking of the 2021 VMAs Performances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

MTV’s 2021 Video Music Awards definitely made history this year. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Sunday night’s show had a full audience for the first time since 2019. It was also the 40th anniversary of MTV, so artists went all-out to put on show stopping acts that had Twitter going crazy. Here are five of the greatest eye-catching performances from the show that have set the bar for future performers. 

1. “Industry Baby” and “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)” by Lil Nas X ft. Jack Harlow 

Worthy of being a VMAs opener, Lil Nas X’s back to back performances of his two hit singles from his latest album “Montero” gave us a dazzling marching band and incredible set visuals. The dancers, dressed in pink prisoner uniforms, delivered energy that kept the crowd hyped and on their feet. From singing to an iconic dance and twerk routine, Lil Nas X showed that his big win for Video of the Year was more than deserved. 

1.  “Have Mercy” by Chlöe 

Chlöe’s debut solo VMAs performance proved to everyone that she can hold her own along with being a powerful voice in Chloe x Halle, the R&B duo she formed with her sister. Beginning with heavenly vocals and attire and transitioning to a rocking rendition of the popular TikTok song, Chlöe made her mark and might just be the most underrated performer of this generation. Hopefully, with more music on the rise, we can see more of the passion and talent that will surely get her a VMA of her own.

1.  “Stay” and “Ghost” by Justin Bieber ft. The Kid LAROI

“Stay” used to be the annoyingly overplayed song on the radio, but this performance gave a new spark that wasn’t there before. As one of the finalists for Best New Artist (while only being 18 years old), The Kid LAROI held his own onstage with VMAs veteran Justin Bieber. Bieber sang solo for the second part of the performance, and even though his face was hooded for most of the song, his vocals seem to just get better with age (I still think that Taylor Swift was robbed of Artist of the Year, though).

1. “papercuts” by Machine Gun Kelly

“Shoutout to the emo kids for bringing it all back” is how Machine Gun Kelly started his acceptance speech after his VMA win for Best Alternative, and his performance certainly paid tribute to that sentiment. Bringing back the 90s grunge sound with his guitar insturmentals and Travis Barker on the drums, MGK’s debut on the VMA stage had fans rocking out and wishing they could smash a guitar of their own. 

1. “good 4 u” by Olivia Rodrigo

Bringing her album aesthetic to life, Olivia Rodrigo had every teenage girl screaming along to her hit breakup anthem “good 4 u” on the VMAs stage. Coming down from sparkling disco balls, cracking the camera lens, and living it up on stage, Rodrigo transported fans to her own homecoming dance universe. Winning her first three VMAs and opening the show, Olivia Rodrigo has established herself as a powerful force in the music industry. 

Hello!!! I'm from Brookfield, CT and a freshman at Pace University studying Arts and Entertainment Management. I have obsessions with film, television, and anything pop culture! Certified award show expert and number one Speak Now by Taylor Swift fan.