7 Local NYC Coffee Shops That You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

If there is one thing about me, it’s that I love going to coffee shops. Not only do I love getting a good cup of coffee, but I love the ambiance that comes with a coffee shop. Every coffee shop is different; they are filled with different people and workers, not to mention that every cup isn’t going to be the same. During my weekends, I make it my goal to spend some time in at least one coffee shop. Also, I always get an iced oat milk latte no matter where I go. Simple, yet delicious. This also makes it easier to compare different shops around the city. Over the past few weeks, I have been making a list of coffee places that I recommend based on the coffee itself and the amount of space available to study or do work in. Here is my list and I hope you try them soon!

Blue Bottle – Financial District

Blue Bottle, in my opinion, has the best coffee that I’ve tried. It would be a 10/10, however, the downfalls are the size of the store and the price. Although there is space to do work, it is rather small and fills up quickly, making it hard to find a spot. It is also expensive, but that being said, it is worth the price, in my opinion. I totally recommend it to anyone who is willing to splurge and wants the perfect cup of coffee.

Birch Coffee – Financial District

Birch is definitely my favorite spot to go to before class. All of the workers are beyond nice and never fail to make a great latte. I like to think of Birch as my old reliable. Also, the student discount and free drink punch card are some lovely bonuses! Birch has been my favorite for quite some time now!

Bluestone – Battery Park City

A perfect study spot with another great cup of coffee. There is plenty of space to do your work, as well as a great menu (if you want something to snack on as well). The inside of the shop is so cozy, and I felt like I was inside a beach house on the Cape. This one is on the expensive side as well, but somewhere I would go again.

Black Fox – Financial District

A coffee shop that I have just recently discovered, and I absolutely love it. There was plenty of space to do work in, and it was rather quiet at all times. The coffee had the perfect amount of bitterness and sweetness to it, which is great to me. It was just missing that rich, bold flavor in my opinion. That being said, I will definitely come back to this spot!

Semicolon – Washington Heights

This is such a cute café with delicious sandwiches and a decent cup of coffee. The coffee was not my favorite, but the ambiance of the café was perfect. There is plenty of space to do your work or talk with a friend or two. This is the perfect spot to catch up with a friend in my opinion!

Blank Street Coffee – Lower East Side

I absolutely loved this shop. The workers were great, and the café was perfectly calm and quiet, which is definitely refreshing. The coffee was delicious, but it definitely needed a little sugar to make it perfect. The location  I went to was the perfect size and had plenty of seating. This is a shop that I want to come back to and spend more time in.

Variety – Financial District

To be honest, I’m not a fan of Variety. I will say that the shop itself is adorable and there is plenty of space to do your work. The coffee also isn’t as expensive as the others, which is great too. However, for me, the coffee is rather weak. I have tried their coffee a few times, and personally, it doesn’t do it for me. However, I know of some friends who enjoy their coffee, so I’m still going to recommend it.

PK Kennedy is an active member within Her Campus at Pace. They are a social media assistant and help oversee Her Campus at Pace’s Pinterest account and write weekly articles focusing on, but not limited to, local events, music, and film/television pieces. Outside of Her Campus, PK is a senior at Pace University (NYC) and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a double minor in Digital Marketing and Arts and Entertainment Management. Recently, PK has been delving into multiple social media and design platforms to further their knowledge about digital marketing. During this school year, and beyond graduation, they hope to continue to learn more about photoshop and video editing software. Beyond school, PK enjoys listening and discovering new music, enjoying a cup of coffee and a sweet treat, having hour-long conversations about Star Wars and/or Marvel. If not doing any of the items listed above, PK is most definitely “rotting” in bed and gaining more knowledge about astrology and rewatching their favorite movie/TV shows again.