Toast
Toast
Aakanksha Joshi / Spoon

5 Sweet Potato Toasts to Make This Fall Because It’s Still Fall and Don’t You Forget It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Ahh sweet potatoes. The mystery of starch. 

First of all—the base.

You can go with a yam, which is what we typically think of when talking about sweet potatoes. The bright orange, starchy autumnal beauty.  However, a far more doughy, rich, and creamy alternative is this emoji (insert purple sweet potato emoji) , which is the Japanese sweet potato. A purple-ish outside and a yellow interior. You can literally eat them fresh out of the oven with nothing on them. But when you slice them thinly and put them either in a toaster or roast them in an oven, something magical happens.  

Toast 1: Sriracha Aioli Avocado 

Have you ever been drunk, roasted sweet potato shards into spicy mayo and LOVED IT? This is how I found out about this lovely flavor combo. It was a good idea to schmear Chipotle Aioli on my sweet potato toast. It was a PROFOUND idea to slap avocado on top. Ugh. I am the smartest bitch I know.  

Toast 2: Almond Butter and Jam  

Simple. Works. Go to your local farmers market and get a GOOD jam. I like to put blueberry jam on mine but I’ve been eyeing the strawberry rhubarb at the Union Square farmer’s market. I use the Japanese sweet potato for this because it’s more doughy and bread adjacent. Japanese sweet potatoes are the new white bread, quote me on that.

Toast 3: Pumpkin Butter Greek Yogurt Cacao  

Guess what? Siggis on a yam…is good. Once you get OVER your biases. Biases like “yogurt on a yam is absolutely heinous”. And guess what? It’s fucking pumpkin season. So I’m breaking out the TJ’s (Trader Joe’s) pumpkin butter. Think of this as a heartier pumpkin cheesecake slice mmmmkay.

Toast 4: Pistachio PB Marshmallow Fluff on a Yam 

Don’t look at me like I’m weird- you’ve definitely seen this combo before. A yam with broiled marshmallows on top is SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE THANK YOU. It’s a smart combination okay, and guess what? Fluffernutter is marshmallows. So literally suck it UP.

Toast 5: Hummus and Roasted Red Peppers on a Yam 

Get your hummus at the ready because you’re going to be slapping it on a yam (the orange one). What’s better than this? Yams being yams. I advise you to put arugula on this as well, for that little green touch. That or sunflower micro greens. Micro greens are pricey, but if you have sunflower or broccoli babies just slap them on there, and you’ll probably live ‘til you’re 103.

Now run to your kitchen my little sweet potato, your work is cut out for you.

Jenna Brando is a senior at Pace University. She loves dancing on Instagram stories and discovering new coffee shops in her Brooklyn neighborhood. One of her many side hustles include selling Tom Hanks themed t-shirts on Etsy!