5 Signs You’re Holding Yourself Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Do you often find yourself in an unfulfilling state? Happiness isn’t flowing in like you’d want it be and you’re under a lot of unintentional stress, wondering if your current situation is all that this life has to offer. Your highest potential awaits you, however, ask yourself, are your current lifestyle habits preventing you from your destiny? Self-reflect and tune into what’s really going on.

Here are 5 reassuring reasons to help change your perspective:

1. You’re working a job you absolutely HATE.

Why spend hours at a job that is not a stepping stone towards your dream career? The time you spend working that dreadful 9 to 5 is precious time, wasted. You’re robbing yourself of opportunities to explore your interests or securing that internship. Challenge yourself to a life full of opportunities, working towards a career in something you love. The secret behind the madness is that you technically never work a day in your life.  

2. You’ve outgrown your circle.

The company you surround yourself with has a major influence and impact on your character and choices. If you find that your friends are constantly teasing you for wanting to stay in to accomplish an important goal, shaming you for wearing a bold lipstick, or using your insecurities against you, its time to make new friends. Distance yourself from people who don’t push you to grow. Even if that means you have to stand alone.

3. You’re not taking risks.

Striving for something out of your comfort zone takes a lot of courage. However, if a particular interest or desire is scratching at your heart, it was probably brought to your attention for a reason. Act on it. You never know what doors have life changing opportunities behind them. There is no such thing as failure. If anything, the experience leaves you with a story to tell and you can’t say you didn’t try.

4. You’re not practicing self-love.

To be unaware of your worth is a major no-no. How do you expect to attract bigger opportunities if you have no idea what you have to offer? Fall in love with yourself. Practice daily affirmations, do facials, wear that bold lipstick just because you want to. Take the time to learn about yourself and understand who you are as a person. This will help to define your purpose and create an indestructible you. (Plus – your future self will be very thankful!)

5. You’re drowning in self-doubt.

Just because your path doesn’t look like someone else’s, does NOT mean that you’re not destined for success. Your insecurities are liars. Stop allowing yourself to believe in the negatives. You’re blocking your ability to be creative and driven. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, no one is you and THAT is your power. Embrace your uniqueness and change the game. 

Major: Commercial Dance NickName: Kiki Hometown: Pembroke Pines, Florida Age: 20 Career Aspirations: I'm the person that you take out and will turn the dance floor into a scene from Step Up the movie. I absolutely love to dance. It is who I am. I hope to one day share the stage with big time music artist, such as, Beyoncé and Janet Jackson. Along with dancing with the greatest performers of all time, I would like to channel my creativity in other forms. This includes, creative directing, choreography, writing, and modeling. I have always been inspired by art forms and daring enough to pursue them. I feel that it is my calling to create and inspire others to follow their truest dream as well. #Dreamchasin Check Out my Youtube page at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9K_EBa1kGP-QRNqPbf0t9g