Hallmark Valentines HeroImage R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark Valentines HeroImage R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark.com

5 Romance Books to Read This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

No matter where you fall on the relationship spectrum this Valentine’s Day, there’s always a place for a good romance novel. Here’s a list of books for yourself or to gift your partner this year!

Emma by Jane Austen

Emma is a classic novel that follows Emma Woodhouse’s matchmaking endeavors in English high society. Emma is witty and downright hilarious, and her thoughts and attitude are what make this novel such a pleasure to read. It carries with it an element of relatability, highlighting complicated and confusing relationships.

French Love Poems by New Directions

The French are reputably romantic and passionate, and this miniature poetry collection truly captures the ambivalence of love. Works range from 16th-century style to the romantic and surrealist eras. Each poem is presented in the original French in addition to an English translation. Whether you read them all in one sitting or take on a poem a day, this work is wonderfully worded and an excellent source of romantic inspiration.

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Everyone loves a good enemies-to-lovers novel, and The Hating Game is one of my favorites! Even better, it involves a workplace romance. The stars of the show are Lucy and Joshua, coworkers at a publishing house who are battling it out over a promotion. Things take a turn, however, when they realize that they might not hate each other after all. This is a light-hearted, modern read for those who love rom coms.

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

I’m sure most people have heard of The Notebook in some form or another, and if you’ve ever seen the movie, you’ll know that this one is a tear-jerker. Set in the 1940s, this story follows two young lovers over the course of their lives. Many factors try to keep them apart, but fate ultimately brings them together. Based on a true story, it’s a magically heartwarming and timeless tale.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

This novel is not your classic romance story. Set during the Heroic Age in Greece, the story of Achilles is retold from the perspective of his best friend Patroclus. For those that are familiar with the events of Homer’s Iliad, the book similarly follows the Trojan War from beginning to end. It’s an intense, tragic love story, but it’s unique and an interesting take on a classic!

Giselle Garriga is a sophomore majoring in Economics with a minor in French at Pace NYC. She enjoys baking, reading, and exploring the city in her free time!