This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Happy Scorpio season! In light of the new astrological season beginning, I thought I would reflect upon what I’ve learned before I enter my twenties (Which is absolutely insane, help). Especially in the last year and a half, pandemic and all, it feels as if I have learned more about myself and the world than ever.

So without further ado, here are 19 things I’ve learned at 19 years old:

1. Avoid getting caught up in planning your life, you won’t be able to live out the life you’ve already planned. I have a habit of over planning and overanalyzing my possible future plans to the point where I rush through the existing moment.  Living in the present makes life so much more enjoyable! 
  1. Reading before bed >>> Social media before bed (I’m very guilty of this).
  1. Clinging onto friendships that do more bad than goodwill only hurt you. Not everyone is meant to stick around forever, and that’s okay to accept! 
  1. Don’t feel guilty for sleeping in. 
  1. Protect your peace. It is never selfish to create boundaries between you and those around you. 
  1. A good walk always clears your head. Before making an impulsive decision, or sending that text, breathe in fresh air, and take a moment to process before taking action. 
  1. Taylor Swift said it best! “You are what you love.” You are not the opinion of someone who does not know you or your mistakes. 
  1. Listen to understand, not to react or respond. It allows us all to communicate better within all of the relationships in our lives. 
  1. Social media only shows the highlights of our lives and those around us, not our struggles or behind-the-scenes moments. So next time you’re assuming that another is living the picture-perfect/aesthetic lifestyle, remember that social media is truly a façade, and only what we want to show the world. 
  1. Change is necessary! Life changes, friendships change, passions change. 
  1.  Everything is temporary. Everything. The good, the bad, highs and lows… Nothing can last forever.
  1. Staying in during the weekend does not mean you do not have a life!! We should normalize that being more of a homebody and enjoying more simplistic evenings is completely okay.
  1. Always appreciate little things that make you happy to be alive. Whether it’s walking your dog while listening to music, taking long car rides, eating an amazing meal while watching Netflix, a hot shower after a long day, getting into a new book that you really enjoy; All of those simple pleasures of life make each day a bit easier and better! Appreciate the little moments in life.
  1. It’s okay to not be the best at everything you do. 
  1. If a store asks you if you would like to sign up for a store credit card. Don’t do it. . 
  1. Journaling at least once a week is so helpful. Writing about your day, your worries, experiences and thoughts is a big stress reliever. Using a pen to paper truly does magic for me. 
  1. Beauty tip I’ve learned: Aloe vera on your face before bed every night. It reduces inflammation. My favorite beauty trick!
  1. Healing and recovery are not linear. 
  2. We’re all trying our best!! Every day. Have sympathy.
she/her/hers Hi, I'm Lucy! I am studying Communications & Media Arts and Arts & Entertainment Management at Pace University in New York City.