Untitled design 4?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 4?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Polydor and Interscope/Universal Music New Zealand/Republic Records

10 Female Artists to Add to Your Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Tired of listening to the same old music? In honor of Women’s History Month, here are some of my favorite female artists that I think you should add to your playlists, in no particular order!

1. Victoria Monét is an artist that I have been loving recently. Her silky but powerful vocals match perfectly well with her upbeat sound and fun lyrics. If you are a fan of R&B/Pop that has a disco and retro type of vibe, I would definitely recommend listening to Victoria Monét! Here are some songs that I recommend: “Dive,” “Coastin’,” “Experience,” and “F.U.C.K.”
  2. UMI is an artist that I have discovered recently but is perfect to just listen to while you’re sitting in the park with your friends. Her calming vocals and soft R&B vibe is the perfect sound to listen to while spring is just around the corner! Here are some songs that I recommend: “Love Affair,” “Remember Me,” “Down to Earth.”
  3. Janelle Monae is an artist that I have truly been sleeping on. Her clear and powerful vocals are so beautiful that I find myself listening to her over and over again. The constant change in dynamics and retro sound make me want to jump up and dance, while singing my heart out. Some songs that I recommend: “Make Me Feel,” “Tightrope,” and “Pynk (ft. Grimes).”
  4. Kali Uchis is an artist that I feel more people are starting to listen to but nevertheless, I still recommend that she becomes a regular on your playlist. Her voice is so mesmerizing, and I constantly just want to dance while listening to her music. Not to mention that her album Isolation is pop perfection. Some songs that I recommend; “Dead To Me,” “Telepatía,” “Fue Mejor (ft. SZA),” “Miami (ft. BIA),” and “After The Storm (ft. Tyler, the Creator and Bootsy Collins).”
  5. H.E.R. is another artist that I feel is becoming more popular. However, if you want to listen to some good R&B, in my opinion, I would definitely add H.E.R. to your playlist. Her voice is so silky, and her beats are insanely hypnotic. She also collaborates with different artists like Ty Dolla $ign, Jhene Aiko, Daniel Caesar, and more. Some songs that I recommend: “Slide,” “Let Me In,” “Say It Again,” “For Anyone,
    “We Made It.”
  6. Jhené Aiko is an artist that I have known for a while, but I’ve just been recently getting into. She is giving these soft and peaceful vocals that have really grown on me. If you’re looking for a great R&B artist, I would definitely recommend you listen to Jhené Aiko. Some songs that I recommend: “B.S. (ft. H.E.R.),” “Magic Hour,” “Speak,” and “Sativa.”
  7. Kezia is another artist that I have just recently discovered but her music has been playing nonstop. She produces soft vocals that are lovely to listen to, but she can also rap and give us a nice flow. Some songs that I recommend: “Megan Fox,” “PORTLAND,” “Sapphire,” “Wreck ;(.”
  8. Ayoni is probably my favorite artist that I have recently discovered. She has these clear vocals but with these powerful and nostalgic beats that I am always replaying. Some songs that I recommend: “Santa Monica,” “Divine,” “Malibu.” 
  9. UPSAHL is an artist that I learned about through TikTok! I will admit she does not make the type of music I usually listen to. However, I am glad that I learned about her music! She produces this pop-punk/alternative type of sound and I think that it is intoxicating. She definitely is someone I would have found on my own, but I’m glad she is now on my playlist. Some songs that I recommend: “Melatonin,” “IDFWFEELINGS,” “Drugs (ft Two Feet).” 
  10. Devon Again is an artist that does not have that many songs out but is one that I also learned through TikTok! Their voice is fun and refreshing and their music is a mix between chill and upbeat. I can definitely see myself listening to them while I’m on a walk or sitting in the park. I cannot wait to hear more songs from them! Songs that I recommend: “Suburbia” and “Burn Down”
  11. Honorable Mentions: Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Summer Walker, SZA, Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, etc. Don’t forget about these lovely ladies too! Although they are extremely popular, they still deserve to be on your playlist. Here are some songs that I recommend from each one listed above: 
PK Kennedy is an active member within Her Campus at Pace. They are a social media assistant and help oversee Her Campus at Pace’s Pinterest account and write weekly articles focusing on, but not limited to, local events, music, and film/television pieces. Outside of Her Campus, PK is a senior at Pace University (NYC) and is majoring in Communications and Media Studies with a double minor in Digital Marketing and Arts and Entertainment Management. Recently, PK has been delving into multiple social media and design platforms to further their knowledge about digital marketing. During this school year, and beyond graduation, they hope to continue to learn more about photoshop and video editing software. Beyond school, PK enjoys listening and discovering new music, enjoying a cup of coffee and a sweet treat, having hour-long conversations about Star Wars and/or Marvel. If not doing any of the items listed above, PK is most definitely “rotting” in bed and gaining more knowledge about astrology and rewatching their favorite movie/TV shows again.