This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

In today’s society, women are constantly subjected to the pressures of idealistic body images and expected norms. There is a mindset of women being slim and posting content that is ALWAYYYSSS flattering (boring!)

Normally, I don’t really follow or keep up with “influencers” on social media, but ChessieKing is definitely an exception. Chessie King is an instagram influencer who’s bold content breaks the stereotypes of influencers, promoting the idea that women should be comfortable in their own skin and their own their bodies. Women can be powerful, sexy, beautiful, and successful at any age or size.

Chessie posts content that encourages others to learn how to love their bodies because  she doesn’t “want anyone to look at a photo of me & think “cor, I couldn’t look like that, I feel shit now”. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself to live up to the body confidence message I try & spread daily.” 

Chessie used to be a model who was always told that she was “never skinny enough”, experiencing firsthand the toxic societal pressures. Yet, instead of starving herself anymore, she chose to use her experience in a positive way. 

I greatly admire Chessie because she is doing what many influencers are afraid to do, show her true self. Everyone has insecurities, especially about their bodies, but its important to keep in mind that everyone has their own insecurities… we’re not that different from each other and its important to learn how to deal with these insecurities which will hopefully let us love ourselves :)

Meili Sicard

Pace Pleasantville '22

Meili is a Junior nursing major at Pace University Pleasantville. She is a proud resident of the Massachusetts/Rhode Island area (and a proud NE Patriots fan). In her spare time, Meili likes to go to the beach, listen to music on Spotify, drink exorbitant amounts of coffee, and spend all of her money on food. She is a sister of the Alpha Rho Chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon on campus and the current Campus Correspondent of HC Pace Pleasantville.