sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Ok ok, before all of you love fanatics come at me, tell me I’m wrong and that I haven’t been in love, I wanna put it out there that I am not a hater… but Valentine’s Day is irrelevant. I don’t have this stance because I “hate love”, but I hate Valentine’s Day because I think it is ridiculous to dedicate and stuff one full day with love.Yes, I can see that your reaction was close to Bella Thorne’s here, but hear me out: Valentine’s Day is all about love, cuddles, affection, proposals, blah blah blah.. Yet, when you are in a relationship, you don’t expect to just get your significant other’s love and affection one day a year; you expect it everyday. You expect to be treated special and feel like you have his/her heart. However, for some reason, they only go all out one day a year because they feel like they are “obligated” to do so.

If anything, this day is used as a day of outshining and one-upping the other couple than it is about showing how much you love and appreciate your significant other.Don’t look at me so confused right now because you know, deep down, that what I just said is TRUE. This is the day where every couple wants to be known as “couple goals”, so they go above and beyond, spending so much money on the weirdest things: expensive chocolates, the big unnecessary teddy bears, the excessive amounts of roses, etc.

My question to all of you is, why? Why spend so much money of things that don’t last that long or even get eaten? What’s the point? There is none. All of this is to show the others that you guys are the spoiled ones or that you guys are the most boujee.

To me, that is just ridiculous. Why can’t you guys just be in the moment, everyday? Why can’t you just celebrate your love with each other? Because showing off makes no sense, because… News Flash: NOBODY IS LOOKING. I promise you.Just make the theme of Valentine’s Day an everyday thing. Stop waiting to compete with others who don’t really care whether you have a $5,000 purse or a $5 box of chocolates.

What matters is that you found your other half who has made your life a little more complete. So even though I know a lot of you won’t understand my view (which is fine), but at the end of the day, I’m still going to have all my money and not be broke because of this excessive spending.

So in the words of Tina Fey…

Pearl Luciano

Pace Pleasantville '22

Hi I’m Pearl Luciano. I am a political science major. I like sports and reading.