This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Black Panther has left audiences officially snatched all over the world, and I’m not just talking about the $404 million it grossed in its four day total on its opening weekend. This movie has swept the world in Wakanda fever and everyone is excited. From its diverse cast, to its powerful storyline this may just be the best Marvel movie made to date.

This movie gives audiences something we lacked: representation. Ceilings were shattered as well as stereotypes. Black Panther showed audiences that women can be strong, men can be vulnerable and most importantly the fiercest warriors can be vegetarian too. Although Wonder Woman and her Amazons are incredible, we need more Shuris and Dora Milajes to look up to as well. Unlike many superhero movies, these damsels are never in distress, they are the ones getting stuff done.

This movie is making an impact in so many different ways. Actress Letitia Wright who plays 16 year old Shuri, is Guyanese-British born and someone that has inspired many. The character she plays, Shuri, is the princess of Wakanda and smartest person in the world. She has been given the most important roll of this film, has become an idol to young girls everywhere and is showing them that they can be smart and brave.

Not only is she a role model to young girls but also to the people of the same nationality. She’s proud of it and many people are too, just like my best friend and her mother who are also Guyanese. On the day that my friend saw this movie her mother had told everyone in the theater that Letitia is Guyanese.

Ryan Coogler, the director of this movie created a story that has impacted audiences and reached farther than most super hero films do. It’s brought together depth and humor in wonderful way. With it came a story of not good versus evil but of circumstance. They created a villian that was not villainous but instead misguided and showed audiences what heroes can look like when given the chance.

Young college student writing about justice, memes and all things important while trying to get 8 hours of sleep.
Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.