What Being Sorority Chapter President Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Everyone thinks that being sorority chapter president is a thing straight out of Legally Blonde. In reality, being president of your sorority is something that pretty much takes over your life. Every day, you’re bombarded with tasks to do, whether it’s replying to emails, talk to your advisor, texting your sisters or literally scheduling in time to relax and take time to yourself. There are things you may not realize when running for president, but here’s what I’ve learned from two years in my position:

1. Your phone will be going off non-stop.

The texts I get are never-ending. Whether it’s my pledge sister wanting to get dinner, a younger sister wanting to pick my brain, or my programming chair freaking out over an upcoming event, my phone is going off all the time. While it’s nice to feel wanted, sometimes it’s necessary to turn away from your phone for a little bit or turn it on silent when you go to sleep so you’re not woken up in the middle of the night by your little trying to FaceTime you at 1:00am. 

2. You will dread the “I have a question” text.

You will receive so many texts saying this, but it’s not always something to be afraid of. Before replying to this text, I first think of who it is and what could this possibly mean. Is this someone just asking what time our event is next month, or is this person trying to get your input on their life story? Either way, make sure to reply quickly so they know you’re there for them as a resource.

3. Meanwhile, the scariest texts are “can I call you? There’s something going on and I need help.”  

This is when something major is happening. You’re usually the first person a sister will call when they need to talk about something super important – it’s not just petty drama. They’re usually calling because they’re hoping that you will make a quick decision for them on an important matter. 

4. Sisters will come to you for comfort, guidance and advice. 

I’ve always been a good advice giver, but being president of my sorority for two years has really polished up my skills in this area. People will come to you when they want to talk about their fight with their boyfriend, or when their pledge sister is being mean.

5. You have all the answers. 

Every text, call, or question you get, the person on the other end expects you to know the answer. It’s important as president to know when all your events are for the year, what each position in the chapter is responsible for doing, and simple questions like where is this classroom for this math class they have next semester. If you don’t have an answer for their question, let them know you’ll look into it for them or get back to them when you can. 

6. You will serve as a role model for the newest class and even your pledge sisters. 

No matter the age of your peers, your sisters will always look up to you. Your pledge sisters will be proud of you for stepping up and taking initiative in the chapter, the newest sisters will idolize you for your presence and poise. Your little will want to follow in your footsteps, and the future executive board will cry when you leave. 

7. You will have so much pride in your sorority. 

Your sisters are your best friends, and you have had the opportunity to help each and every one of them grow throughout your presidency. At the end, it will be bittersweet as you watch the newest class become initiated and you’re at the other side. Everything you’ve done throughout your college career has been to help and guide your sisters. Being president is such a rewarding experience. 

Being president of your sorority isn’t just a resume booster or leadership position – it’s so much more than that. You will learn so much from your position, and I hope this has helped prepare anyone interested in running! 

Alexis Neuville

Pace Pleasantville

Alexis is a senior public relations with a minor in marketing at Pace University - Pleasantville. She's currently a Her Campus High School Ambassador Advisor and president of her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon. She's very passionate about Greek life, fashion, and women's empowerment.