This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

On August 23, 2019, Taylor Swift released her 7th album, Lover, that immediately topped charts and sold more than 500,000 copies in just a week. Growing up listening to Taylor Swift’s songs wherever I went, I have always enjoyed her music. She is one of the most versatile artists of our generation and she uses her platform for good. This album further proves how talented she is, and shows her incredible skills in songwriting. Even though this album has been out for more than a month already, I still have it on repeat.

1. “I Forgot That You Existed”

I always enjoy songs like this one with some shady lyrics from Taylor. It’s a reminder to move on from negative people and just forget they existed. Focus more on self-love. Also, who doesn’t love a song with a good beat?

2. “Cruel Summer”

There’s a reason why many fans wanted this to be the first single released from this album. The bridge and chorus of this song is just incredible, and makes you want to jam along. It’s nice hearing these lyrics about how she couldn’t resist falling in love.

3. “Lover”

A beautiful song that just makes everyone want to fall in love. After fans have listened to this song, they even suspected Swift was engaged or married to her boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. I can already tell this will be many people’s choice of song for their first dance at a wedding. 

4. “The Man”

Probably the most important song on this album as it tackles sexism women face everyday that people aren’t even aware about. I love how Taylor uses her platform to spread important messages whether it’s cultural or political. Not only does this song features a catchy chorus, but the truth about if she were a man, it would be easier to escalate her career.

5. “The Archer”

Taylor really let her guard down for this album, especially with this song that’s about difficulties she has faced with friends and relationships. When people that once meant a lot to you leaves your life, you can’t help but wonder if you are the reason they left. I think this song really showed off how talented Taylor is as a songwriter.

6. “I Think He Knows”

Another catchy song that just makes you want to jam along. It’s filled with confidence and expresses how in love she is. This is definitely one of her more personal songs which makes it unique, but people can still relate to if they’ve ever just fallen for someone who truly knows them.

7. “Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince” The political undertones of this song is very recognizable, and addresses the struggles we are currently facing under this administration. Inequality is still very prevalent in today’s, but Taylor isn’t staying silent about it anymore. This song is to remind everyone who’s feeling overwhelmed by today’s struggles that they are not alone, find comfort in people who will support you.

8. “Paper Rings”

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a diamond rock or just a paper ring on that finger, but how real the love is. With catchy beats, this is definitely a song relatable to people who are also experiencing the same kind of love. It also motivates people to just go for it if there is that special someone in your life, because you never know where it might lead.

9. “Cornelia Street”

This is the place where Taylor’s relationship began, and everything about it reminds her of how it all started. She hopes to never lose him or else she’d never be able to walk on this street again. It’s another emotional song written by Taylor, but just shows how talented she is for transforming her memories into beautiful lyrics.

10. “Death by a Thousand Cuts”

Those who have experienced breakups may relate to this song and how painful it can be. Healing during this time is the hardest, because you feel like you’ll never be okay again. Taylor is here to remind others that they aren’t alone and eventually, you will heal even if it doesn’t feel that way.

11. “London Boy”

Another cute, fun song about her current boyfriend and you can really tell how much she adores him. The lyrics feature memories she spent with him back in his hometown. When artists write songs about their personal lives, it makes songs more meaningful because of their willingness to open up.

12. “Soon You’ll Get Better” (featuring Dixie Chicks)

This song is probably the most emotional one on this album, as it was dedicated to Taylor’s mom, who’s currently battling cancer. The deep lyrics of this song and the vulnerability of her voice made me tear up listening to it for the first time. Although it was probably very difficult for her to write, I’m sure it meant a lot to people who are going through the same thing.

13. “False God”

The powerful lyrics and the R&B vibes in this song is different than the other singles on this album. I would say this is also one of her more risqué songs depending on how one may interpret the metaphors she put in it. With so many good songs in this album, this one is definitely underrated.

14. “You Need to Calm Down”

There’s a reason this song was released as her second single, because Taylor wants to send a message to those who keep targeting others with their negativity. She’s standing up for the rights of the LGBTQ+ community and the inequality the world still faces. I love this song and how empowering it can be for others. 

15. “Afterglow”    

In this song, Taylor faces the mistakes she may have made in her past relationships and puts the blame on herself. There’s this struggle in her head that she broke the relationship and now she has to fix it. It’s a meaningful song that shows how she does take responsibility in things that didn’t work out. 

16. “Me!” (featuring Brendon Urie of Panic! at the Disco)

This was the first single Taylor released off of this album, and it’s an amazing track that celebrates who you are. Don’t be anyone else, but yourself. This song is filled with self-confidence and empowerment, reminding others to love themselves for who they are.

17. “It’s Nice to Have a Friend”    

By the lyrics of this song with a reference to marriage, you can tell Taylor is in a good place with her relationship. Even though a friendship turned into something more, she’s thankful to have a friend that was there for her when she needed it. It represents the obstacles she has been through and how having support from a friend means a lot to her.

18. “Daylight”

The chorus of this song is my absolute favorite and it’s just filled with positivity. She’s putting aside everything that happened in the past and focusing on the present. It’s her way of moving on and becoming stronger from it. This song is such a delight, and embracing love.  

Sandra Chen

Pace Pleasantville '23

Sandra is a sophomore communications major at Pace University Pleasantville. Being from a small town in Connecticut, she loves to travel and explore new places. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite shows, hanging out with friends, and listening to music. She hopes to be more involved on campus and create great memories this year!