This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

The negative effects of social media on our minds have long been debated and discussed. The film, Social Dilemma, directed by Jeff Orlowski, combines both drama, with a fictionalized family story, and a documentary, with real interviews, to highlight what is truly going on in our society. Tristan Harris, one of the crucial characters in the documentary,and a former design ethicist at Google, quickly discovered the ethical problems with these systems. Ultimately, we the people are the products being sold to companies, our attention, whether that be scrolling past a post, or clicking on a link, creates revenue for these organizations.

Yet, it’s not as simple as monitoring ourselves or lessening our screen time. Even Tim Kendall, a former president of Pinterest, hated admitting that even after a long day’s work he was stuck to the phone. He states, “I am going to work during the day and building something that then I’m falling prey to.” However, the harm doesn’t just end there, so many parts of our generations lives and generations to come are affected. I ask you now to check the number of hours associated with each app on your phone on your screen time settings. If that number is more than an hour and thirty three minutes, I presume you can use that time to educate yourself on what is truly happening to our minds. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaC57tcci0

Nicolina Barone

Pace Pleasantville '24

Nicolina is a freshman English and Communications major at Pace Pleasantville who loves to write, workout, listen to music and hang out with friends and family and her dog, Leila. She is from Pompton Lakes, New Jersey. She is looking forward to write for Her Campus this year and meeting new people.