This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Have you ever been in a room and knew in that moment that history was being made? When I crossed the street from my hotel to make my way over to the Cobo Centre I could feel the energy around me. As I stepped through the doors of Centre and read the sign “Women’s Convention: Reclaiming our Time” I felt my chest swell with pride because I made it. It was no easy task to get here – petitioning for funding, failure then trying again with success after about two months of weekly meetings and little sleep. All that hard work reaped its reward as I made my way through the building.

In many ways, I did not consider myself a feminist until I entered college. It had been difficult to find my identity in suburban Connecticut, living in a small town with small minds. Being labelled feminist almost felt like a scarlet letter. As I began to integrate myself into the workings of college I found myself more willing to accept the label of “feminist”. The day I fell that I truly empowered to be a feminist was when I attended the Women’s March on Washington in D.C. I had gone down to visit a friend from high school and she willingly took me in and unknowingly changed my life forever. From that day forward, I knew that in my heart I will always be an intersectional feminist, because all people deserve the equality of being human.   

So why was attending this Women’s Convention so important to me? After the world-wide phenomenon of the March on January 21st, I knew that I had to keep on learning and growing if I really wanted to make change.

It was in my first workshop where I felt possibility and strength all around me in the room. I felt incredibly being surrounded by a group of wonderful and strong people. I couldn’t focus on anything the speaker was saying, so I decided to go on a walk. I made it to the top of the stairs overlooking the art gallery that was on the main floor of the convention center and took a breath as I reflected on my journey there and how on my first day was going. I could already feel the energy around me making a difference. As I walked around the gallery and looked up at the art work soaring feet above me, I didn’t feel small. In fact, I felt just as big as the piece that said, “women are prefect.”

It was speeches I heard, the people I met and the workshops I attended that meant so much to me. Getting to meet Amber Tamblyn and speak to her about how important it is that we have strong women in the film industry. Hearing the Resistance Revival Choir sing their famous song and feeling their voices lifting up those around them. Being front and center during Rep. Maxine Water’s speech and having her tell us to reclaim our time. Getting to meet one of the creators and persona hero Linda Sarsour, a fellow Muslim advocate and thanking her for creating a space that allows Muslim women to have a seat at the table. Meeting the women who created “The Future is Female” by a brand called Otherwild and showing her my own handmade shirt, then buying my own “sister resister” shirt. I experience a whirlwind of emotions and saw my own personal growth in just three days. What I learned at this convention most importantly was that it’s not just the famous people who can influence the most change. It’s the people on the ground, petitioning and advocating. I met so many more people like you and me that are making the biggest impact just by showing up.

I went to the stairs my first day to clear my head and allow myself to be willing to bend and learn. On my last day I went to that same spot to reflect on what I had learned and who I wanted to become after leaving the convention. I got to dance, sing, cry and laugh. I was appreciated and accepted and most important of all I got to be me. I was taught new things that I will always carry with me, and day by day I’m slowly reclaiming my time. ​

Young college student writing about justice, memes and all things important while trying to get 8 hours of sleep.
Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.