This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

On September 10th, 2019, the fashion show of the year debuted, Rihanna’s ‘Savage x Fenty.’ This year, I had the privilege of attending the unorthodox runway show that dominated Fashion Week. This fashion show involved women of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds, and was more than a fashion show, it was an experience. Not only were the women modeling the newest lingerie, but it was an entire production, that contained singing and dancing; as well as major guest appearances from Migos, Big Sean, DJ Khaled, and more. This show was all around different than usual, but most importantly, inspiring for young men and women. 

Rihanna told The Associated Press, “I think tonight was just one of those experiences that I wanted people to feel that energy. I wanted them to feel all the different body types, all the different women in different stages of their womanhood.”

The show began with the queen, Rihanna herself, dancing in the new line of lingerie. I can’t even go into detail on how beautiful she looked, and the stage itself, breathtaking. By the end of the show, I was in tears. It was so much, the singing, and dancing, and the iconic guest appearances. A traditional show in New York Fashion week normally contains the stereotypical theme, thin people modeling a new line of clothing too expensive for the everyday person to buy. This show put every fashion show in history to shame. It was a huge step in the fashion industry, showing beauty in all forms. Every girl in the show was not only able to model the lingerie, but display their talents, while creating an experience of a lifetime. 

This show was more than a fashion show; it was iconic. Rihanna just completely changed the game, and I am here for it. For the longest time, every lingerie show contained women that fit the “fantasy look.” This show was not only magical, but historic. “When you hear the word savage, it’s pretty self-explanatory,” Rihanna explained. “It’s a confident word. It’s a word that is fearless, and I feel like the women here tonight represented that word, savage, and I feel every woman has a savage inside of them, whether they found it or not. It’s there.” Thank you Rihanna, for allowing me to see the savage I recently found in myself. 

Nicole Cancel

Pace Pleasantville '21

Nicole is a sophomore Public Relations major, and minoring in Fashion Marketing at Pace University. In her spare time she enjoys binge watching shows on Netflix, attending concerts, and napping in between every class.