This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

The National Walkout was a nationwide protest that took place on Wednesday, March 14th, and it was to honor the lives of the 17 students and teachers that were killed at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. Students across the United States all walked out of their schools at exactly 10 a.m. and peacefully protested holding up signs for 17 minutes. I had the opportunity to witness and participate in a walkout on that day.

One of the high schools in the neighborhood where I grew up also participated in the walkout. While I was home for spring break I was more than willing to accompany the other students in the protest. Before the walkout, there was a table set up for students to take a sign to hold during the walkout and to make a donation to the “March For Our Lives” foundation. During the ceremony in honor of the victims, there was a moment of silence, their names were read, and balloons were released. It was very emotional and I was proud to witness students trying to make a change.  

I was also very elated when I learned that the students at my local high school will not be punished for walking out, as schools in other districts warned students not to walk out otherwise they would face consequences like unexcused absences, docked grades, or even suspension. However, according to the First Amendment, students have a right to protest, especially when expressing a political view. Because of that, those students who stood up for what they believed and participated in the walkout regardless of the warnings, I say “good for you.”

Now that the walkout has been completed, it is on to the next protest, “March for Our Lives,” which is planned for Saturday, March 24th. The main event will be held in Washington D.C., but demonstrations will be all over the United States. Spread the word, grab a friend or family member, and join the protest to help make a difference.

I am a sophomore biological sciences major, communications minor who loves health and writing. I love listening to music, netflix and hanging with my friends in my free time. My go to quote to live by is: A man plans his journey, but the Lord directs his steps, Proverbs 16:9. Que Sera Sera. Clemson '19